FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 1080p HD to SD settings (81 minutes)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim klatt
Compressor 1080p HD to SD settings (81 minutes)
on May 5, 2010 at 5:40:58 pm

I have an Apple ProRes 1080p, 81 minute film that I need to make an SD DVD from. I am obviously
looking for the best settings possible. The film is 30p.

Is it best to send directly from FCP, or should I do a quicktime conversion first?

(also, is there any settings advice to matching the color as closely as possible from the HD timeline? I just finished coloring the film in Color over the last 4 weeks. We will eventually get a hardware compression, but for now we need a short run of SD dvds that we are going to have to compress ourselves).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor 1080p HD to SD settings (81 minutes)
on May 5, 2010 at 5:56:43 pm

[jim klatt] "or should I do a quicktime conversion first? "

Argh! No!

[jim klatt] "Is it best to send directly from FCP"
One way to go but . . .

You could export self contained (timeline codec) or reference.

You can send from FCP but some people have found that a bit hit and miss and may tie up FCP in the process.

Return to posts index

jim klatt
on May 6, 2010 at 2:04:00 am

I did some tests and found that my footage looks lighter and not as good when I do a regular export from Final Cut Pro. When I do a Quicktime conversion it stays the same as it looks in the timeline.

Return to posts index

jim klatt
on May 6, 2010 at 3:06:59 pm

I think this is because it is ProRes? When I view it in quicktime as an export, it is lighter. But then if I drag the lighter clip back into fcp, it is back to the original levels.

If I do an export as a quicktime conversion out of fcp, then it looks the same when I view the file in QT, AND it looks the same when I import it back into fcp. What gives?

Return to posts index

Andrius Simutis
on May 11, 2010 at 4:42:55 am

What gives? Gamma, that's what. There's a display difference between the 1.8 and 2.2 Gamma levels. Your footage isn't changing, just the way it's displayed.

When you say you're going to get a hardware encode later, can I ask why? The hardware encoders aren't nearly as good as what you can do with the better software encoders today. (BTW, I don't consider compressor to be one of those better solutions today as far as MPEG2 is concerned.) Any studio that is selling you on their "state of the art/Hollywood" hardware compression card is full of it. They might still be making the payments on that SD2000 card, but it's hardly the best compression solution these days. If they're worth paying to do the job, they'll have an experienced compressionist who knows the tools and can use the best one to give you the results you're paying for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]