FORUMS: list search recent posts

blocky video dvd after 2 pass vbr best motion est wedding dvd

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric lebeau
blocky video dvd after 2 pass vbr best motion est wedding dvd
on May 5, 2010 at 5:04:33 pm

Filmed a wedding and did my editing with Final Cut Pro. Export using Compressor. From the list I pick Best 90 minute DVD. The settings include 2 pass VBR with Best motion picked to a MPEG-2 file at 6.4 and max 7.0...i read somewhere that messing with these numbers can cause a dvd player to not read it so well. So i left it as is.

After burning the DVD and reviewing it, the picture seems blocky, pixelated or whatever the term. Looks like very low quality, no sharpness and edges seem to have a blocks/steps appearance.

My sequence is default from Easy Setup using NTSC CCIR 601 setting as I used a Canon XL2 24p 16x9 mode.

How can I correct my settings for optimal hollywood dvd appearance. I'm going to try 1 pass vbr, good movement estimation setting and lower from 6.4 to 6.0. I hope i'm going down the right path here.
HELP!

Return to posts index

Andrius Simutis
Re: blocky video dvd after 2 pass vbr best motion est wedding dvd
on May 11, 2010 at 4:52:29 am

A few things could be causing this. A bad picture to start? If your material is already compressed, compressor will exaggerate that compression when it goes to MPEG2. H264 and AVC look great the first time, but they don't hold up so well when recompressed.
Bit rate. 6.4 is plenty of bandwidth, even for Compressor's shabby MPEG2 implementation, but you might want to give it a little more breathing room on the top end, like 8.0 for the max.
HD - SD downconversion. If your source is HD, make sure you enable the frame controls. Without it you'll get lousy results. If you have the time, set these to best.
Compressor. It's not a bad program overall, but compressor really, shockingly, horribly, lacks good MPEG2 compression. You say you want Hollywood DVD compression, so take a guess at how many A list DVDs use compressor...none. The cinemacraft solution is better, but it's a thousand bucks and it only does MPEG2.

Return to posts index

eric lebeau
on May 11, 2010 at 6:35:28 pm

I use a standard Canon XL2 and then use FCP to capture. I believe i capture at NTSC DVPRO something like that.

I export in the same format/codec DVPRO NTSC. I tried Photo/JPEG, then NTSC DVPRO, then h.264 export...image looks very good, but seems to be a slight stutter. This is where the blocky comes in.

How about if I tried to compress to mpeg 2 in multiple clips by chopping up the video? THEN bring each mpeg 2 clip into DVD Pro? I did a 10 second DVD with 7.0 mbps VBR 1 pass and it looked great. Am i going down the right path??

Return to posts index

Andrius Simutis
on May 11, 2010 at 8:45:15 pm

If you shot it DVCPro NTSC you should capture and edit it DVCPro NTSC and then export using current settings which will also be DVCPro NTSC. If you compress it into any other format you're just introducing artifacts that will become big ugly blocks when it gets compressed (again) into MPEG2.

Return to posts index

Andrius Simutis
on May 11, 2010 at 4:53:20 am

A few things could be causing this. A bad picture to start? If your material is already compressed, compressor will exaggerate that compression when it goes to MPEG2. H264 and AVC look great the first time, but they don't hold up so well when recompressed.
Bit rate. 6.4 is plenty of bandwidth, even for Compressor's shoddy MPEG2 implementation, but you might want to give it a little more breathing room on the top end, like 8.0 for the max.
HD - SD downconversion. If your source is HD, make sure you enable the frame controls. Without it you'll get lousy results. If you have the time, set these to best.
Compressor. It's not a bad program overall, but compressor really, shockingly, horribly, lacks good MPEG2 compression. You say you want Hollywood DVD compression, so take a guess at how many A list DVDs use compressor...none. The cinemacraft solution is better, but it's a thousand bucks and it only does MPEG2.

Return to posts index

Clayton Moore
on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:43:19 pm

Good advice, Im also looking at some standard DVD issues myself right now. In my case it looks like its compressor related in that the default HQ DVD settings ( Could be my imagination) don't look as good as they used to. Ive not been doing to much DVD creating for a while so ........................

Im about to run a test comparing an SD DVD I made a few years ago with one today using the same DV information and the current default. All I really need to know is do I NOW need to ratchet up compressor settings to get at least what I was getting before. If so I need to know that so I can account for the extra encoding time if needed.

Having saId that more time in compressor always gets pretty good results. I was frustrated years ago there was not a good solid "hardware" encoder (affordable) even better Apple chip on board for such things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]