FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert MOV. to AVI

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Lakshinsky
Convert MOV. to AVI
on May 4, 2010 at 9:06:39 am

Hello, I'm stack with converters on Mac. Can enyone give me please an advise which program converts video formats MOV. to AVI with good quality. I couldn't find AVI using compressor, is it a problem for macs?

Thank you!

JJRIGO

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Convert MOV. to AVI
on May 4, 2010 at 9:51:13 am

Which AVI CODECs do you want to use?

Return to posts index

Ivan Lakshinsky
on May 5, 2010 at 8:09:23 am

I have no idea, thats why I'm asking. I have made a video clip but I've made it in FCP exported it in to mov. format, now some people are asking me to converted to AVI, so that it can be avaliable for the most of people who're using windows. I have never experienced the use of AVI converters.

JJRIGO

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 5, 2010 at 8:22:39 am

MOV and AVI are just wrappers, containers. They can contain any number of different codecs ranging from uncompressed to very very heavily compressed.

When you exported your clip from FCP to a .mov you had to choose a codec. It's the same with AVI.

Obviously you need to find out what codec to use before delivery.

Most people who just ask for an AVI don't really know either....

Return to posts index

Ivan Lakshinsky
on May 5, 2010 at 9:18:23 am

Maybe I'm the one of these people...haha. Thanks I'll have look

JJRIGO

Return to posts index

Ivan Lakshinsky
on May 5, 2010 at 10:15:24 am

I've used Integer(little Endian), Apple Intermediate codec (720x576) Which one would be the best to convert this to AVI?

JJRIGO

Return to posts index

Susan Forste
on May 20, 2010 at 8:01:04 pm

Did you ever get an answer to your query about MOV to AVI converters? I'd like a recommendation as well.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 20, 2010 at 8:45:47 pm

Which codecs do you which to transcode between?

Return to posts index

Susan Forste
on May 20, 2010 at 8:57:30 pm

I don't know yet, but I'm trying to find out. Perhaps it would be generally helpful to indicate some common codecs and the best way to convert?

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

Return to posts index

Susan Forste
on May 20, 2010 at 9:06:35 pm

I was just told that H.264 is the audio codec. (This is for a radio site, so they're thinking in terms of audio, but I guess that goes for video, too.)

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 20, 2010 at 9:44:24 pm

H.264 is a video codec. AAC is the audio part. Although you can wrap H.264 + AAC in AVI it's not recommended.

Return to posts index

Susan Forste
on May 20, 2010 at 10:04:05 pm

Well, unfortunately, I'm not in a position to influence what they're doing, but I'd like to know what you would recommend. Also, can you recommend what software to use (even for a suspect conversion)?

Thanks, I appreciate your responses.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 20, 2010 at 10:51:18 pm

A radio site using AVI online?
I'd use MP3. maybe AAC, maybe WMA

If they're saying H.264 for audio in an AVI wrapper you'd better be in a position to tell them what to do or you may find yourself in the position to be blamed.

I'd consider Telestream Episode or Sorenson Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 20, 2010 at 11:02:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'd consider Telestream Episode or Sorenson Squeeze. "

Don't bother with Squeeze IMHO.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 20, 2010 at 11:08:05 pm

Well I was just trying to be fair. Squeeze does some things OK . . . some things.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 20, 2010 at 10:52:48 pm

It's not a question of influencing what they are doing, it's a question of asking them what they are doing and what they need to enable them to do it!

If I asked you to 'fix this problem', what would your answer be?

You haven't even told me what computer system you have/use or what they use or what the video is for or what format of video you work with, what frame size, frame rate, data rate, PAL or NTSC etc etc etc

How am I ever going to even start to help you if you don't give me any information whatsoever!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 20, 2010 at 9:44:07 pm

[Susan Forste] "Perhaps it would be generally helpful to indicate some common codecs and the best way to convert? "

That's like saying "perhaps it would be generally helpful to indicate some common languages and the best way to translate between them"!

Return to posts index

Susan Forste
on May 21, 2010 at 12:02:23 am

I've been asked to make brief intro and closing video segments for a streamed radio show. (Although it's a radio show, it's also videotaped.) My segments will be integrated with the live video by the producer of the show. I asked the producer the requirements for the video segments, and he said he needs 340x280 AVI files and that they are using the H.264 codec. I'm a Mac user and haven't dealt with AVI files until now, so I'm just trying to find out how one goes about converting to AVI. What I was expecting was a software recommendation. And I didn't think you'd need to know so many details for that purpose.

I'm using Final Cut on a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8. The format will probably be HDV at 29.97.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 21, 2010 at 2:28:11 am

[Susan Forste] " he said he needs 340x280 AVI files and that they are using the H.264 codec."
It sounds like pieces to a jigsaw puzzle but you may be turning it into scrambled eggs.

My guess he's EDITING in AVI wrapper and STREAMING with the H.264 codec. Unless you find out all WE can do is GUESS.

I'd still recommend Telestream Episode but unless someone fills in the blanks, you'll be blamed for not delivering what he needs. Episode can do MPEG4 AVI but I don't know what does H.264 AVI.

It might be easier to ask what program he's using to do the editing. They you can find out what codecs it can handle.

See this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats
and does say

AVI
Almost anything through VFW; H.264/AVC is problematic due to the limited B-frame support[4]
[4] Through an updated x264/ffdshow filter it is possible to view H.264 in an AVI file.

See this too
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=34490
excerpt of question

... was happy/interested to see that more releases were coming out in h.264. However, upon checking some of them out, I'm seeing that a number of them are h.264 inside of an .avi container.

... I've read has said that putting MPEG4 AVC into .avi can be bad news a lot of the time, and from what I know, I can't understand why anybody would use .avi over .mp4, as it offers no outright benefits (that I'm aware of) and .mp4 is the official container for h.264.

and some responses

The reason for H.264 in AVI? Unfortunately there isn't one. It is just plain newbosity working at its best. For any groups that you find releasing H.264 in AVI be sure to show them your full disapproval and constant scornful remarks
Personally I think it's a really dumb idea.
There is no reason for it other than ignorance. Either ignorance on the part of the encoder, or ignorance on the part of the leechers that the group is trying to avoid.
one contributing reasons as to why people put h264 in AVI seems to be that they don't know what's wrong with it - after all, to the casual user it seems to work well enough. In fact, the only h.264 feature that really doesn't fit into AVI is the b-pyramid. So to the newbies, it seems to work fine - in their view, H.264 is just another codec that should work in AVI.
The fact that most features do "work" in AVI is not a reason to use it, however... H.264 in AVI is still evil, still prone to breakage, and just plain WRONG, no matter what the VfW trolls on doom9 think about it.
Another reason might be ignorance/newbness. Not all encoders know that H.264 in AVI (or rather H.264 hacked for VfW compatability) is bad.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 21, 2010 at 2:33:48 am

Well Perian will play H.264 AVI on Mac.

Return to posts index

Susan Forste
on May 22, 2010 at 11:45:01 am

Thanks, Craig, that was very helpful.

Return to posts index

carlos giraldo
on May 22, 2010 at 2:35:51 am

just try the free aplication "MPEG STREAMCLIP"

Return to posts index

Nikki Riches
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:35:18 am

Can someone give a specific software which can do great job?

Return to posts index

Mark Neal
on Aug 15, 2011 at 4:06:04 am

I have a ojosoft .mov to .avi converter. It works pretty well. Unfortunately, it can only work on Windows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]