FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality AND file size

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Pietraszek
Quality AND file size
on May 2, 2010 at 1:54:46 am

Hi everyone, new here and a few months ago I switched over from Vegas to FCP so I'm fairly new to Compressor.
Normally I'm a "trial and error" person and learned a lot that way but this project is time sensitive and I don't have time to compress through various formats to find out.
So, I have a QT .mov file: 1280x720, 48kHz, 6 minutes long, and it's 8GB. Is there any compression format which will retain that quality (or as close as possible) and squeeze the video down to a MAX of 2GB?
OR
I'd be willing to go down to 960x540 and 44kHz (any format) as long as the quality is retained (or as close as can be) but the file is 2GB or less.
From what I noticed working in Vegas, .wmv vids were generally a much smaller file size and the quality was fairly close to QT.mov, however, Compressor doesn't have a .wmv capability so I'm asking for help.
Thank you!
-AP

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Quality AND file size
on May 2, 2010 at 10:44:39 am

Try the Apple Prores codec.

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on May 4, 2010 at 3:37:02 am

Well first off, whats your original codec for your raw footage?

Then, I'd suggest to export that as H.264.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on May 13, 2010 at 3:52:33 pm

Are you compressing it for edit? Delivery to a client/friend/relative? Archive? It would be helpful to know what you're compressing it for in order to make a good recommendation.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on May 13, 2010 at 4:43:45 pm

Yes, it would be helpful to know what the delivery format would be as you will need to apply different compression settings for each format.

Web is a higher compression then DVD or Blu-Ray.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]