FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson 6 Problems

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve West
Sorenson 6 Problems
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:54:45 am

I upgraded to Sorenson 6 about a month ago and I'm noticing many problems and I'd like to see if anyone else is noticing this. I haven't tried all the settings- but here's what I'm seeing.

I've been using SV3 for a long time for videos for client review and that's what I'm using in Sorenson 6.02.41. I'm encoding from a QT REF of Apple ProRes 720x486 video edited in FCP 6.06. That video was shot on a Sony EX1, edited in an HD timeline- then placed in the SD timeline and a "shift fields" filter was added. The output of FCP, going through a AJA io express to a broadcast monitor looks good.

On SV3 compression- deinterlacing doesn't work- If you look at the A/B slider- it shows it will take it out, but when you encode, the interlacing is still there.

The data rate to quality ratio is much worse in 6- video with my usual settings of 1000kbs and at 720x486 is un-usable where in 4.5- it looked good.

Encode times are much slower.

It also looks like audio sync was out.

They also advertised DG Fastchannel presets- but there isn't one for HD- which is what I really wanted. I've heard that the SD template doesn't work for DG anyway.

I plan on calling Sorenson to see if I get answers- I'll post them if I find out anything. But if anyone else is seeing the same thing- that might help us to get answers.

http://www.woodlandmedia1.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]