FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding very fast flashes without artefacts?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Miller
Encoding very fast flashes without artefacts?
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:37:36 pm

Hi,

I have recently put together my showreel. The project is a PAL 720x576 project, but I am using a variety of different formats ranging from 720p, 1080i, XDCAM to DV PAL. But I don't think this is related to my problem. I am exporting using compressor for Vimeo...

H.264 Quicktime,
Square Pixel Aspect Ratio,
1024x576.

Frame Controls : On
Retiming - (fast) nearest frame
Resize filter - Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter - Better (Motion Adaptive)

The result is great, except for one thing which is this...

For a title I have sped up the whole showreel to 4000% and used this as a background for the title text at the start of the showreel. It looks great in FCP, lots of very fast colours and different images flashing through at great speed. The trouble is, the codec I am using doesn't seem to be able to cope with it and I get grey artifacts on the encode. This also happens in a couple of other places where I have used very fast flashes as overlays in edits.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can encode this for web using compressor, with settings that will be able to cope with the fast flashes and very fast images?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Charlie

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Encoding very fast flashes without artefacts?
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:48:30 pm

[Charlie Miller] "Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can encode this for web using compressor, with settings that will be able to cope with the fast flashes and very fast images? "

A very high data rate and lots of keyframes will help.

Return to posts index

Charlie Miller
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:38:03 pm

Thanks,

Would you be able to suggest full settings for a h.264 quicktime export that might be able to deal with this. how often should i place keyframes, what sort of data rate? bearing in mind this will be uploaded to vimeo/youtube after the initial export.

Cheers,

Charlie

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:15:18 am

It's impossible to say without seeing and testing.

Use VBR, 2-Pass if available. Set keyframes to auto with forced keyframes no less than 4 seconds apart, increase the data rate until you become happy with the picture.

Once uploaded to YouTube expect all your hard work and picture quality to be utterly destroyed!

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:13:16 pm

I'm not an expert here, but export your video out as an 8-bit uncompressed. Then bring that in and try using Compressor for the encode. You may also try exporting out using the 'Animation' codec, it's worth a try. I recently downloaded the MainConcept encoder and it handles graphics very well, give that a try.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCS3/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]