FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing Apple Pro Res to Flv for viewing on the web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kimberley O'Neill
Compressing Apple Pro Res to Flv for viewing on the web
on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:22:42 am

Hello all,

I am trying to compress Apple Pro Res file to FLV for uploading to a website and I am having major problems. I was using ffmpeg but I am now trying Adobe Encoder.

Could anyone advise me of the optimum settings for compression. The original film was shot on Redcam and has a lot of post work on it for motion control and colour correction. On my recent attempts I am either getting real problems with the film looking blurred or there being discolouration, defragmenting. the final FLV file has to be smaller than 30MB is this possible.

Any help would be really appreciated, I am quite new to this and worried I am missing something obvious. Already finding the forum super useful,

Thanks

Kim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressing Apple Pro Res to Flv for viewing on the web
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:44:34 pm

[Kimberley O'Neill] "Could anyone advise me of the optimum settings for compression"

There's no one size fits all setting. You have given use very little information about your source clip or the setting the website require - Frame size, data rate etc.

[Kimberley O'Neill] "the final FLV file has to be smaller than 30MB is this possible. "

Depends how long the clip is. File size has a direct relation to duration and the amount of data used per second. Until you supply us with much more information, there's nothing much we can help you with.

Return to posts index

Kimberley O'Neill
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:03:25 pm

The Apple Pro Res is 1920 x 1080, Shot on Red Cam, motion control and colour correction in both Colour and After affects.
Flv file should be 16:9, frame size 432 x 240 px, bitrate around 400mb
Website is made using dreamweaver although I am not involved in this stage.

Thanks

Kim

Return to posts index

Kimberley O'Neill
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:05:15 pm

I need the FLV to be 16:9, 432 x 240 px, frame rate should be 15 but this is causing problems with the motion looks blurred and pixelated.
FLV file needs to be under 30MB. I am passing the file onto a web designer who I believe has built the sight using dream weaver but I'm sure about the encoding of the website.
The original Apple Pro Res was shot on Red cam, with motion and colour correction done in After Effects and Colour. Just looking for a way of getting a good quality image in FLV.
I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Thanks

Kim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:57:22 pm

You still need to tell us how long the clip is if you want us to figure out how to get it under 30Mb!

In the meantime us can use this to work out your data rate and the correct frame size.

Don't bother doing it at a low frame rate, stick to the native frame rate or it'll look crap whatever you try.

Return to posts index

Kimberley O'Neill
on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:24:39 pm

Hi Daniel,

My clip is 6mins long. Is that all you need, 1920 by 1080.
Kim

Thanks

Kim

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:27:15 pm

This may help:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator/

If you have Apple's Final Cut Suite, Compressor has presets and a specs window, when you drag and drop a preset on to the video clip you wish to encode, it will allow you to see the "estimated file size" before you encode (if you have the flv plug-in for FCP). With Final Cut Pro, if you export it out as an 8-bit Uncompressed HD 1920x1080 (it may take a few hours), you could then drag and drop that file into Sorenson Squeeze (an encoder software) and try that, after you tweak settings to your needs. But just for the record, you might be hitting a roadblock in quality, as you are drastically down-sizing and compressing this file, so lots of things being compressed to a file only 30MB, that may take a major quality hit. Just my 2 cents.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCS3/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]