FORUMS: list search recent posts

What codec for 1080i shots - player issue

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaroslav Klaus
What codec for 1080i shots - player issue
on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:00:52 pm

Hi,

What codec is recommended for 1080i50 for computer players? It looks like silly question but I've recently found out neither QT X, QT7 nor VLC (or other avcodec based players) can play 1080i in H.264 properly.

Properly means 50 fields per seconds. All players I've tried play 1080i in way to convert it to 1080p25 first where both fields are blended to make one field frame or second field is discarded etc. which is really wrong.

Only MPEG2 format + VLC player plays 1080i50 properly.

Do you know any combination of H.264 codec and videoplayer (PC or Mac) that plays interlaced HD video properly? Thanks

Jaroslav

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: What codec for 1080i shots - player issue
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:09:05 pm

[Jaroslav Klaus] "What codec is recommended for 1080i50 for computer players?"

Computer players are generally progressive as 99% of computer displays are progressive.

[Jaroslav Klaus] "Do you know any combination of H.264 codec and videoplayer (PC or Mac) that plays interlaced HD video properly?"

Quicktime will as long as your source is and was acquired as interlaced

Return to posts index

Jaroslav Klaus
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:35:38 pm

[Jaroslav Klaus] "Do you know any combination of H.264 codec and videoplayer (PC or Mac) that plays interlaced HD video properly?"

Quicktime will as long as your source is and was acquired as interlaced

First I've read there's still old bug in QT not being able to deinterlace at all (?). I've read this somewhere in forum on Apple's support page.

Second I was testing QTX, QT7, VLC, DivX player (supports H.264 now) and Movist and different codecs and formats (MPEG2, h.264, h.263, ProRes422 etc.). So far only VLC and MPEG2 was OK. :-( All others plays 50i as 25PsF (with different handling of second field).

I came to conclusion this is one of several reasons (apart from wrong pulldown etc.) why people get their home video jerky.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:51:54 pm

[Jaroslav Klaus] "First I've read there's still old bug in QT not being able to deinterlace at all (?). I've read this somewhere in forum on Apple's support page. "

Do you have a link to this thread?

Is/was your source shot as interlaced? or is it in fact Progressive material that you have tried to interlace?

Return to posts index

Jaroslav Klaus
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:48:37 pm

I was trying to find the thread but I can't (It was long time ago so I haven't it even in history) :-(
May be it was on macrumors.com ... I don't know

But here you have original clip from HV40 http://bit.ly/aWIxNC. It's raw stream so M2T and here is MPEG http://bit.ly/aoBheC generated by MPEG Streamclip without video reencoding.

You can compare MPEG playback in QT and VLC. You will see interlaced fields in QT but VLC will be clean an much fluent.

You can also reencode it to HDV 1080i in MPEG Streamclip or Compressor. QT will be useless (ghosts, jerkiness) vs. VLC - fluent. But if you change format to h.264 or anything else than MPEG2 even VLC will not play correctly.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:24:50 pm

I'm getting confused with this.

http://bit.ly/aWIxNC is a 1440x1080i HDV clip
http://bit.ly/aoBheC is a 1440x810 MPEG-2 clip

If you do a 'Demux Unscaled in MPEGStream Clip you end up with a 1440x1080.m2v - how did you end up with 1440x810 unless you transcoded it?

So, do you want the clip to be deinterlaced or remain interlaced on playback, if you want it to be deinterlaced then for ideal results you need to deinterlace it before playing it back.

Return to posts index

Jaroslav Klaus
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:48:01 pm

If you do a 'Demux Unscaled in MPEGStream Clip you end up with a 1440x1080.m2v - how did you end up with 1440x810 unless you transcoded it?

It wondered me as well. But look what Finder says about mpeg file: 1440x1080. Also MPEGStream Clip did the conversion so fast I don't believe it did anything with content. I guess it's QT bug (can't handle anamorphic videos?). Compressor also says it's 1440x1080 so I really thing there's something wrong with QT.

So, do you want the clip to be deinterlaced or remain interlaced on playback, if you want it to be deinterlaced then for ideal results you need to deinterlace it before playing it back.

I want to keep clip interlaced and deinterlace during playback. But properly deinterlaced during playback. Which finally means 50p not 25p. Try to create deinterlaced clip in common way (you'll get 25p clip) and then compare result with the original M2T played by VLC in linear deinterlacing mode.

The only way to get same optical result is to use JES Deinterlacer and deinterlace to 50p. But then you'll get double size of the file of course. That's why I'd like to keep file interlaced and find player deinterlacing to 50p in real time during playback.

Return to posts index

Jaroslav Klaus
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:31:53 am

haha. ... I thinK ... of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]