FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can not submit batch in Compressor?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scooter Barsnack
Can not submit batch in Compressor?
on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:01:42 am

I'm trying to compress a 1:00 sequence I've created in FCP 4.5 with Compressor 1.2. I'll load the clip into Compressor. Choose my presets, destination (internal Hard Drive), clip submit and I get an error box that reads: Cannot submit batch "Unable to connect to background process". I've reinstalled Compressor from my initial FCP disks, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Can not submit batch in Compressor?
on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:21:41 am

It's going to be very difficult to find help &support for such an old version of compressor.

There is this:http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

But as you'll see it's only designed for compressor 3

Try searching way back in this forum, say 4 to 6 years ago....

Return to posts index

Scooter Barsnack
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:53:08 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried it, but it only works for vers. 3.

Thanks for the help,
Scooter

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:01:46 pm

Is it indeed a Compressor issue. Sometimes it could be a file hang-up, some corruption somewhere in a file that causes the hold, or it could be a computer issue as well. The the computer's processing protocal or something where Compressor talks to your computer, is that a variable? I know G4 Macs can still run FCP7, but certain HD codecs will not load or set-up in FCP, when you go to install everything, it will say that certain codecs are not supported, but you hit continue and still, you can edit with it. Is the project outputting via QT Movie Export, or QT Conversion?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCS3/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

Scooter Barsnack
on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:56:09 am

I'm trying to exportingout of FCP 4.5 thru Compressor 1.2 a MPEG-2 120min High Quality Encode video & AIFF Stereo 16Bit 44.1kHz audio file. I've actually used my Compressor sometime before for something similar and I was successful. Now I'm having problems?

Thanks for the help,
Scooter

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:32:48 pm

Are you able to save it out as a QT movie file, then drag that to DVDPS? Will it export to any flavor of QT w/o problems? Is it HD content in the edit? Is there a codec in your video that Compressor may not recognize? Can you export through Compressor using another preset? Will that work, or does it lock up on all presets you are using?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCS3/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

Scooter Barsnack
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:32:16 pm

Are you able to save it out as a QT movie file, then drag that to DVDPS? DVDPS-WHAT IS THAT? DO
YOU MEA, EXPORT OUT OF FCP AS A QT THEN DRAG IT INTO COMPRESSOR? IF SO, YES

Will it export to any flavor of QT w/o problems? - YES. DIRECTLY OUT OF FCP

Is it HD content in the edit? - NO 720x486 ASPECT RATION

Is there a codec in your video that Compressor may not recognize? I'M NOT SURE. I USED COMPRESSOR
WITH MPEG 2 HIGH QUALITY BEFORE, AND IT WORKED.

Can you export through Compressor using another preset? - NO. I CAN GO THRU THE WHOLE PROCESS
OF EXPORTING THRU COMPRESSOR, BUT IT WILL NOT LET ME SUBMIT THE BACTCH. THAT'S
WHEN I GET THE, "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO BACKGROUND PROCESS" WINDOW.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN. "BACKGROUND PROCESS"?

I ALSO REINSTALLED COMPRESSOR FROM MY FCP DISK AND FCP PROGRAM. STILL NO GOOD! COULD THERE BE A PROBLEM IN MY PREFERENCES? IF SO, APON REINSTALLING, WOULDN'T THAT FIX IT? I'M AT A LOSS?

Thanks for the help,
Scooter

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:56:16 pm

Try this:

1.) In the Viewer tab, highlight the files you want to batch export to Compressor.
2.) After you highlight all the files for export, go to "File" then hit "Batch Export", or right-click on the highlighted group and right click on Batch Export option.
3.) In the 'batch export' menu, click on Settings, then click "Format", after you set your destination and chose where to save the exported files.
4.) After you click Format, the drop down window will give you some selections. Click on the button and chose "QuickTime Custom". Then click under the "Settings", click "Options" button, and in the "Movie Settings" window, go to the "Settings" button, and chose the settings of the compression you want, I'd chose "8-bit uncompressed 4:2:2", (this give you a pure uncompressed master file, you can use for any archiving purposes, or if you want to use this file later for some other purposes, you can use the 8-but file to compress down to any format you want, like for web, but this 8-bit is your master QT file.)
5.) Under "Size" hit: "NTSC 720x480 4:3" - this setting will be applied to all batched files. Also click "Deinterlace Source Video" and chose "Ok".
6.) Click "ok" once more to exit the "Batch 1" window.
7.) Click "Export".
8.) After these files batch encode, drag these files into Compressor and compress to Mpeg-2 and ac3 audio or whatever "DVD Best Quality 90, 120, 160, you want, and apply those settings and export from Compressor. You may find that the m2v files you get from this look better had you gone directly out of compressor from off the time-line. I tested this and I've gotten many better looking encodes this way from encoding from an 8-bit uncompressed QT, because with an uncompressed file, there is no compression added to your file, as with other ways to export and encode to m2v and ac3.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCS3/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

Scooter Barsnack
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:53:39 pm

Thanks Tom! I will definitely use this process. I still can't figure out the problem I'm having with not being able to submit by batch in Compressor.

Thanks for the help,
Scooter

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:04:35 pm

You may try and install your version of Compressor on another machine to see if repeats the same issue.

Also go through and make sure the time-line is rendering out, sometimes corrupted video (which is hard to detect) can cause problems with Compressor. In this case, since you're working with a few clips and sending a Batch to Compressor, you may try exporting them out one at a time to see if one of the videos is causing the hold-up, try 2 or 3 at a time later on, or also check and see if there is a compatibility issue with any recent Compressor updates you may have recently re-installed or updated.

You may want to try and reinstall an earlier version of Compressor and check and see if it still hick-ups, then if it doesn't you know that the latest version you have, as old as people say it is, may be the root of the problem, if you have access to the original version, for example your disc may be Compressor version 2, but after you install 2, you go and download the update for 2.5, and now it is not working, but version 2 was working, sometimes updates cause the problem, and also re-check your Operating System, as certain recent updates to the OS may haev inadvertently caused a problem with your Automation or processing.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCS3/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]