FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arghh...Encoding for HULU/MPEG2 Component not working. Test file enclosed.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Dalsgaard
Arghh...Encoding for HULU/MPEG2 Component not working. Test file enclosed.
on Apr 22, 2010 at 6:39:29 pm

Hi there-

Maybe someone here can give me a hand. We are beginning to provide content to Hulu. Their specs basically require an MPEG2 Program stream with muxed audio.

I'm very confident I've created a pretty flawless preset in Compressor, it's just that I can not get QT 7.6, QT X or MPGSTREAMCLIP to play back my files.

Here are the facts:

QT opens the file but only displays BLACK. It has intermittent choppy audio.

MPSC opens the file but only displays WHITE. It has intermittent choppy audio.

VLC plays back the video flawlessly!

My MP2 component is the newest one and is installed in the correct place. (Jan 2009-SYSTEM/LIBRARY/Quicktime/QuicktimeMpeg2.component)

I'm on Snow Leopard

I have Perian, but I don't think that even matters

Here are the encode settings I am using. Does anything stand out to anyone? I've included 10 second sample of my encode if anyone wants to try to play it!

715_hulutesthuluhdmpeg2.mpeg.zip

Name: HULU HD_MPEG 2
Description: MPEG-2 Program Stream with MPEG audio at 48kHz.
File Extension: mpeg
Estimated size: 15.1 GB/hour of source
Type: MPEG-2 program stream
Video Encoder
Format: M2V
Width: 1920
Height: 1080
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: 29.97
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Better (Motion Adaptive)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Start timecode from source
Aspect ratio: Automatic
Selected 16:9
Field dominance: Progressive
Average bit rate: 34 (Mbps)
1 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum bit rate: 40 (Mbps)
High quality
Best motion estimation
Closed GOP Size: 1/2 second, Structure: IBBP
YUV 4:2:2 Color: enabled
Audio Encoder
Format: MPEG
Sample Rate: 48.000kHz
Channels: 2
Bits Per Sample: 16

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Arghh...Encoding for HULU/MPEG2 Component not working. Test file enclosed.
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:53:07 pm

[Toby Dalsgaard] "VLC plays back the video flawlessly! "

What are you worried about then?

Return to posts index

Toby Dalsgaard
on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:40:47 pm

I'm not worried about anything. Just wondering why the software that should be working is not. I don't know about you, but in my position I can't be the guy who goes "oh well, this inexplicably works or doesn't work, I'll just move on and hope it makes sense the next time".

Return to posts index

Desiree Damon
on May 10, 2010 at 3:02:17 pm

I've been having problems too, with snow leopard. It took me a while to realize that the reason why nothing else was working is that snow leopard wipes the mpeg 2 playback component.

I got this info from mpeg streamclip's website:

You have to reinstall or restore your MPEG-2 Playback Component.

If you have a Time Machine backup of your System folder, then open the /System/Library/QuickTime folder, enter Time Machine and go back in time until you see the QuickTimeMPEG2.component file; select that file and then click Restore.

If you purchased the MPEG-2 Playback Component from the Apple Online Store, then you probably still have the DMG file that contains the installer. Use Spotlight to search for "QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg": if you find a file with that name, double-click it and then in the disk image, double-click the installer package for Intel Macs.

If you purchased the MPEG-2 Playback Component from the Apple Online Store but you can't find the QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg file, you can download the file again from the Apple Online Store if you remember the Apple ID used when you originally purchased it (if you forgot your Apple ID then go to Apple iforgot). Visit the Apple Online Store, click on "Account" in the store menu, then click "Downloadable Software Purchases," enter your Apple ID and password, and click the link to the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component to download it again.

If you obtained the MPEG-2 Playback Component from the installation of Final Cut Studio, then you can reinstall it again from the Final Cut Studio DVD. Insert the DVD and use the Finder's Go menu > Go To Folder... command to get to the /Volumes/Final Cut Studio/Installer/Packages/ folder inside the DVD. Locate the QuickTimeMPEG2.pkg or the QuickTimeMPEG2Pro.pkg installer: double-click it to reinstall the MPEG-2 component.

That should help.

Return to posts index

Toby Dalsgaard
on May 10, 2010 at 9:29:24 pm

Hi Desiree...

MP2 Playback component is installed. I reinstalled it after Snow Leopard as a precaution, but this has happened regardless.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on May 10, 2010 at 8:05:16 pm

Not sure what is going on here. I downloaded your QT file. All white frames and stuttering audio.

QT 7.6.4
FCP 6.0
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2
OS 10.4.11

ps - Maybe upload 10 seconds of your source footage. I would like to try and encode using your settings and see what the results are.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Toby Dalsgaard
on May 10, 2010 at 9:31:56 pm

Terry-

Thanks for checking out the footage. You are having the same issue as me. Drop that file in VLC and it should play back fine.

Oddly enough, the folks at Hulu told me that they are huge VLC folks and if it played back in VLC, just send it along for QC.

I'll upload you the source file tomorrow and update this thread when I do!

-Toby

Return to posts index

Mark Topkin
on Jun 15, 2010 at 7:02:19 pm

I am in the process of encoding some shows for HULU as well. Did you solve this problem and do the settings work you have posted?

Return to posts index

Toby Dalsgaard
on Jun 15, 2010 at 7:29:02 pm

Mark-

I never solved the MP2 playback issue, but the guys at Hulu insisted that I shouldn't be worried as THEY use VLC all the time for their QC. (That kind of surprised me!)

So, I turned it over to them and it passed QC with flying colors.

Your "sales" guy at Hulu should have provided you with a spec/standards sheet for their encodes. It's actually quite easy. The XML might be another story, but hopefully you aren't being burdened with that. Let me know if you need any help, but I'd definitely start with the guidebook...it's well written and very clear.

-T

Return to posts index

David Hou
on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:07:18 pm

I've encountered this issue to with our Hulu assets too.
Turn off:
YUV 4:2:2 Color: enabled
and it will play again in Quicktime.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]