FORUMS: list search recent posts

move Compressor settings & off-load task to 2nd Mac?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
move Compressor settings & off-load task to 2nd Mac?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:02:51 pm

I have 2 questions about Apple's Compressor. It's not clear to me how to move an individual Compressor settings from Mac to Mac?

Second and somewhat related. I was using 3 Macs yesterday to meet a deadline with Compressor playing a key role. Though I'm aware of the advantages of exporting from FCP to Compressor without making a self-contained movie, there are times when I'd like to keep working in FCP and off-load a Compressor task to another Mac. It's annoying that Apple will shut down Compressor if it detects FCP running on another Mac on the network. Apple's logic is that I'm running the same suite, to me I'm running two different apps that do different things. Ok I can disconnect one Mac fro the network but it all seem silly. Thanks in advance for input.

Paul

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: move Compressor settings & off-load task to 2nd Mac?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:35:48 pm

[Paul Dougherty] "It's not clear to me how to move an individual Compressor settings from Mac to Mac? "

Look in /Library/Application support/Compressor/

[Paul Dougherty] "Apple's logic is that I'm running the same suite, to me I'm running two different apps that do different things. Ok I can disconnect one Mac fro the network but it all seem silly. Thanks in advance for input. "

Apples logic is that you bought a product called Final Cut Studio that is comprised of multiple applications (Adobe do the same with Creative Suite).

Silly of Apple to think that they are running a business rather than a charity!

Bottom line is that if you want to make use of the Final Cut Suite on multiple Macs at the same time then you will need multiple licences in order to remain legal.

By the way, have you heard of Qmaster?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/compressor/distributed-encoding.html

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: move Compressor settings & off-load task to 2nd Mac?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:18:28 pm

Look in /Library/Application support/Compressor/

It's strange when I did a Finder search for the exact setting name it didn't appear. Got a problem on that machine.

>Apples logic is that you bought a product called Final Cut Studio that is comprised of multiple >applications (Adobe do the same with Creative Suite).

>Silly of Apple to think that they are running a business rather than a charity!

Thanks for all the info but I don't think this analogy works in the context I've described. Conversely two Adobe apps like After Effects & Photoshop while part of the same Adobe suite *will* run in tandem on different machines without conflict, so this Apple scheme isn't a given.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]