FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting from QT to WMV9 with specific bit rates

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Belinda Shaw
exporting from QT to WMV9 with specific bit rates
on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:19:54 pm

I have two inserts - an 18 min and a 50 minute insert. I need to export to WMV9 but with very specific requirements. The source is FCP 1920x1080i(xdcam ex1) - the final file must be 384x288 (so this needs to be letterboxed), a Video Bit rate of 340k and audio at 32k but maximum Bit Total Bit rate cannot exceed 400k. When I use the video and audio settings either directly from FCP (Compressor), or even exporting to a QT as 384x288 (letterboxed) and then using QT to export to WMV (I have Flip4mac), I get a total bit rate way above whats required. I've even put the small QT file through Squeeze and still the total bit rate is way over

I am missing something here? Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: exporting from QT to WMV9 with specific bit rates
on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:37:35 pm

Where are you getting this bit rate? If you're using Quicktime it won't work. Quicktime does not report proper WMV bitrate.

You'll need to test with WMP9Mac or better, WMP11 or WMP12 on Windows.

Keep in mind you may need to do a CBR (2 pass CBR ideally) if you have a very narrow range. Make sure you're using the current version of Flip4Mac which is 2.3.2.6

Return to posts index

Belinda Shaw
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:04:48 pm

Hi Craig - bitrate dictated by client that has large global intranet. Max bitrate is 400K. I have the latest Flip4Mac. Good to know QT does not read proper bitrates. I'm downloading WM9(mac). I would have thought that using QT or Compressor, by setting the video and audio bit rates they've requested it would be within their specs but its WAY out. Thanks - will keep testing.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:18:20 am

[Belinda Shaw] "I would have thought that using QT or Compressor, by setting the video and audio bit rates they've requested it would be within their specs but its WAY out. Thanks - will keep testing."

I have no idea what you mean by that. You set the bit rate in Flip4Mac and that determines the target. Bitrates nearly always vary from the target. CBR encoder - CONSTANT bit rate is best if you don't want to vary. You can constrain the peak with 2 pass VBR but that can overshoot from what I've seen.

You have no idea whether it's way out. You don't know what it is until you test in WMP9Mac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]