FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg streamclip problem!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Ullon
mpeg streamclip problem!
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:48:10 am

For some reason mpeg streamclip isn't giving me the option to compress into a prores file. I tied downlaoding again but same result. Tried both versions of streamclip. Any help??

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: mpeg streamclip problem!
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:58:11 pm

Do you have the ProRes encoder codec on your system? Basically do you have Final Cut Pro installed?

Return to posts index

Jon Ullon
on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:39:11 pm

Ah, I sure don't! I'm running final cut express... Lame, I know. Can't afford fcp just yet. Any recimmendations then? I seem to be somewhat limited.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 16, 2010 at 12:00:57 am

Use AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). It's not quite ProRes but it'll work.

Return to posts index

Jon Ullon
on Mar 16, 2010 at 12:45:06 am

cool thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Ullon
on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:57:41 am

What about settings within fce? It allows for 1080i60, 1080i50, and 720p30 I believe. I'm shooting full HD progressive. Is it going to hurt me to use 1080i?

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Mar 31, 2010 at 1:51:26 am

Don't convert your progressive file to 1080i!!! There's enough processing equipment in displays to wreak havoc on your video.

Just so we're clear, you are running this MPEG Streamclip on a Mac, right?

This is the ProRes codec you need: (Link removed by site admins. Do NOT every try this again, Brian, or your account will be terminated.)

Just unzip it and put it in your Macintosh HD -> Library -> Quicktime folder.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:00:48 am

It's illegal to distribute the Prores encoder. The decoder if freely available from Apple. Do you make a habit of pirating software?

Return to posts index

Jon Ullon
on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:34:37 am

Yeah I'm running it on a Mac. Ok good to know. I'm actually going to be upgrading my entire system very soon and none of this will be an issue any longer. Thanks though.

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:22:03 am

I had no idea this was illegal in any form! I do not pirate software. I adhere to strict licensing guidelines but was misinformed about the ProRes Encoder.

I've removed this download and deeply apologize for the mistake.

Can you please point me towards the ProRes licensing information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Apr 1, 2010 at 6:51:30 pm

I have systems that encode ProRes that do not have FCP installed. After a bad night of sleep and sweating the legal ramifications of making a bad move, I have finally figured out what is going on...

Please note admins, I was not "trying" anything. This was an honest mistake.

We have 12 FCP seats in house and even more production computers that are tasked with playing and transcoding video with QT Pro. These production machines have always been able to produce ProRes video. After scouring the internet for ProRes legal info, I realized what was happening. These production machines are part of our render farm. There all loaded with Qmaster (no license needed) which installs the ProRes encoder!

So yes, the ProRes encoder comes with FCP. It does not come with FCP express or any other other retail product (as far as I know).

Again, my apologies to the board. I'm still looking for the ProRes encoder ULAs. If anyone has a link please post it. I'll be sure to pass this info along to others in our market.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:21:42 pm

[Brian Alexander] "There all loaded with Qmaster (no license needed) which installs the ProRes encoder! "

Qmaster is part of, and only part of FCP. Therefore a licence is needed. Qmaster needs a licence. Qmaster does not install the Prores CODEC alone. ProRes is part of Final Cut Studio! Of which Compressor (and as such Qmaster) is a subset!

The ELUA is very visible as part of a standard FCP install.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:28:46 pm

*EULA*

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Apr 2, 2010 at 1:23:50 am

For clarification, it's the Qmaster Node Installer that I was referring to, not Qmaster.

EULA: "Apple Qmaster Node Installer. The Apple Qmaster Software may be installed and used concurrently on as many Apple-labeled computers owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by you as reasonably necessary. These computers must be networked and running Mac OS X."

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

Thanks Daniel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]