FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining footage from Different cameras

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlton ahrens
Combining footage from Different cameras
on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:15:08 am

Hello,

I am having a problem that I would appreciate any help in solving. I am midway through a documentary film and am combining footage from two different cameras and could use some assistance in setting this thing up in final cut.

The first camera is a Sony HVR-V1u shot in 24p HDV 1440 x 1080 mode and the second is the Canon 5d Mark 2 shot in 1920 x 1080.

I am at a loss on the best way to combine the footage. What I have come up with is converting the 5d footage into pro res 422 LT. I then go into my final cut project that i have set up to capture from the dv tapes, where the setting are for HDV1080i60. I drag one of the 5d (converted to pro res 422 LT) files down on a new sequence and it asks me if i want to change the sequence to one compatible. I say yes. The file looks great. Then I take a file from the Sony v1u (converted to pro res 422 LT) and put it on the timeline and it looks great. Then i take one of the original captured files from the Sony V1u (still in HDV 1080i60) and put it on the timeline and it looks great. I don't trust my eye as i know they can't combine like that. or can they?

So, should I just convert the Canon 5d's footage to the 422 LT and combine it with the HDV footage? I just don't understand what happens to 1440 x 1080 footage when it combines with the 1920 x 1080. It doesn't look stretched to me. But is it?

Any sort of assistance on this will be greatly appreciated. I am going to have about 200 hours of footage so I would like to go with the LT setting but am open to suggestions. The end use is a blu ray dvd so i really don't want to lose quality in the editing. I guess a big question is whether to degrade the 5d or to blow up the HDV? Any help out there?

Thanks,
Carlton

Return to posts index

carlton ahrens
Re: Combining footage from Different cameras
on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:33:10 am

Hey,

I realized after I posted that fcp scaled up the HDV footage to the Canon's 1920x1080. It looks good on my monitor but is this the best option?

Can anyone clarify if I should convert the HDV to the prores 422? I see there is an option to capture and automatically convert it to prores 422. I haven't done that with the HDV footage so far, but can convert it and change my capture settings going forward.

Thanks in advance,

Carlton

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Combining footage from Different cameras
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:49:16 pm

This really belongs in the Final Cut Pro Forum.

http://forums.creativecow.net/applefinalcutbasics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]