FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Quality MPEG 4 file with low Size - HELP

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sachin Desai
High Quality MPEG 4 file with low Size - HELP
on Mar 12, 2010 at 5:43:21 am

I need to covert the dv pal 16:9 files to mpeg 4. i need low file size but i don't want to loose quality because there are lots of text and chroma work is done as it is an educational program.

what settings should i use in apple compressor or any other program.

thanks
sachin.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: High Quality MPEG 4 file with low Size - HELP
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:36:49 am

[Sachin Desai] "i need low file size but i don't want to loose quality"

Everybody who works with video has exactly the same goal!

[Sachin Desai] "what settings should i use in apple compressor or any other program. "

Do you seriously think you've given us anywhere near enough information to go on?

Have you read any of the other post in this forum

Have you tried starting with one of the presets and experimenting?

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Mar 14, 2010 at 6:07:48 am

I've tried many settings dude..

but seems all are same nothing much of a difference except the file format. quality and file size remailn more or less same to each other no matter if it is h.264, mp4..

so far flv is giving me low size and almost same quality compare to mp4 and h.264

what is your exp.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 14, 2010 at 12:26:33 pm

[Sachin Desai] "I've tried many settings dude.. "

Meaningless unless you can provide specifics. Many settings applied without understanding is nothing more than random chance.

[Sachin Desai] "quality and file size remailn more or less same to each other no matter if it is h.264, mp4.. "
Which may indicate you don't know what settings are important. H.264 is a codec and it can have an mp4 extension so this doesn't make any sense at all as a comparative statement.

[Sachin Desai] "so far flv is giving me low size and almost same quality compare to mp4 and h.264 "

This doesn't make sense either. Unless you're using another type of mp4 (the older less efficient Part 2), H.264 is the codec that is mp4. FLV can be almost the same quality as H.264 but H.264 in most cases will be better and the codec is far more versatile too.

You haven't identified anything meaningful that one can offer help with.

Data rate is the primary determinant of file size which are influenced by the settings used. Quality is influenced by the type of H.264 encoder implemented (Apple, MainConcept, Dicas, x264, and others) as well as settings such as entropy, number of passes, intelligent use of keyframe interval, B-frame, reference frames, type of deinterlacing if needed, etc.

If you don't see the importance of the above it's kinda like saying store bought frozen pizza is better than "homemade" because it may indicate a bad cook doesn't know how to use good ingredients. It may indicate a flaw in the ingredients (Apple H.264 at low bit rates for example) as well.

We can't provide any detailed help because you've provided no information regarding ingredients or cooking method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]