FORUMS: list search recent posts

general compression question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roberto pierson
general compression question
on Mar 11, 2010 at 6:56:58 am

hi, so i was given footage that was shot 24pf(canon Hv40) so its 24p interlaced in a 60i stream. i imported the footage on final cut pro 7 like this
Sequence Preset: HDV- 1080i60
so i ended up with about 12 gigs for every hour of video, then i went into compressor and did a a prores422 hq codec and ended up with 62 gigs for every hour and 300k bytes.. then i did the same with jes deinterlacer with a photo jpeg coded and ended up with 20 gigs and 100k bytes, when i play both videos they look the same. my question is wich one should i stick with because i want this to go festivals so it will play on big screens so it needs to be the best as possible, i have never worked with hdv before.
thanks
rob.
p.s
i love this forum because everyone knows so much and are willing to share information thanks guys.
cheers.

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
Re: general compression question
on Mar 11, 2010 at 5:53:18 pm

Work in ProRes and then output as needed for the festival. I'm not sure if they'll want Blu-Ray, DVD, Digi-Beta etc.

If it's 24p/60i run it through Compressor to remove the 3:2 pulldown. You'll find it in the "Frame Controls" tab and it'll say "Reverse Telecine". When it's done you should have 24fps ProRes.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com (undergoing a much-needed redesign)
http://www.vimeo.com/steelehouse

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: general compression question
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:53:44 pm

[roberto pierson] "wich one should i stick with because i want this to go festivals so it will play on big screens so it needs to be the best as possible"

Your decision will be based on what formats the festivals can handle for playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]