FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 4:2:2 playback

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Graybeal
MPEG2 4:2:2 playback
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:42:18 am

Hi,
I've been compressing file for DG Fastchannel into the MPEG-2 muxed 4:2:2 specs they require. How do I get these files to playback on my Mac? I thought VLC might be able to handle it, but it starts and stutters before freezing 8 seconds into the spot.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Eric Graybeal

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MPEG2 4:2:2 playback
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:09:10 am

What spec is your Mac?

You might want to try Movist:
http://code.google.com/p/movist/

Return to posts index

Eric Graybeal
on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:54:27 pm

2.66 Quad core Mac Pro. 6 GB RAM. ATI Radeon HD 2600 Graphics card. 2 TB internal RAID. OSX 10.5.8

No luck with Movist. I get some audio, but no video at all.

I'm still curious about VLC. Every movie I play runs for 8 seconds before freezing. Audio playback is fine. The first 8 seconds is only Black with a 5 second slate, but as soon as I hit the first 1/2 second of the spot it freezes.

My compression is following DG Fastchannel's upload specs.
MPEG2 Program Stream.
4:2:2 Chroma
720x512 dimension
4x3 Aspect Ratio
.9 Pixel aspect ratio
Upper field dominate

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:03:52 pm

What are you encoding with?

I use Episode for DG and VLC 1.0.5 plays back the files for me last I checked. MacPro Dual Quad (8core) early 2008.

Return to posts index

Eric Graybeal
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:35:07 pm

We are using Cleaner 6.5. I know its super old, but it is the only thing that is giving us the correct 4:2:2 chroma. I've already been certified through DG using Cleaner, but I don't have any way of viewing the compressed files before I send off, which makes us nervous.

We own Compressor and Squeeze 4.5. It would require us to spend between $500 and $1000 to go to Squeeze 5 or Episode. We are not willing to spent that at all, we don't need DG that bad. We'll can just load our MPEG-2s directly to stations FTP sites. They are less sticklers about there color spacing, plus they tend to use normal dimensions. But DG seems to be the industry standard, so we can't ignore it completely.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:05:06 pm

Files that match DG's specs are certainly hard to playback in typical desktop software players.

You can try MPlayer or MPEGStreamClip as you've already tried VLC. That's all I can think of offhand.

If DG and playback before sending is not mission critical (worth $500) then you may have to live with not seeing the encodes. If you've been certified and you follow the same procedures that got you there, you should be safe. If there's something technically wrong with the encode, DG will likely contact you.

Return to posts index

Eric Graybeal
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:07:20 pm

Thanks for the help.

Neither Mplayer and MPEG streamclip work. I think I am just going to remind DG to check my files if we need to do a mass distribution.

Thanks again
Eric

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:17:48 pm

oddly enough we have to playback on a toshiba laptop with Vista and windows media player

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Joe Cygan
on Mar 12, 2010 at 1:58:53 pm

Hey Craig- you seem to be the man for DG encoding with Episode. Could you possibly post the settings you use? I am new to Episode and we are working to get certified w DG. Thanks! Joe

Return to posts index

Tommy DAquino
on May 17, 2011 at 4:44:17 pm

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that can't view these files once they're set up. I've just been setting them up in Compressor. Of course, they're fine, until I check the "YUV 4.2.2 Color" box, then on playback, I hear about a half second of audio, and no video whatsoever.

The odd thing is, They'll accept the HD MPEGs in 4;2:0, but not the SD files. Oh well. Glad to have found it's a common problem.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 17, 2011 at 4:52:39 pm

As noted above. Use VLC to check playback of those files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]