FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downscaling HD for DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Koelker
Downscaling HD for DVD
on Mar 1, 2010 at 1:18:31 pm

Does anyone have an update to this issue? I've got a ProRes422 1080 29.97 HOUR LONG show that I've tried a few dozen paths to make look good on a DVD. Compressor and BitVice have not solved the resizing issue. I really think the problem is not the encoding but the resizing.
I'm using the latest FCP Studio and Snow Leopard. I do have a Kona LHi card, but my only output would be to DVCAM and making that round trip seems cumbersome.
Any ideas will me greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Downscaling HD for DVD
on Mar 1, 2010 at 2:29:41 pm

Did you try doing a search?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/864724

Return to posts index

Anthony Koelker
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:27:09 pm

You mean the "Bonsai" method? The post you refer to is inconclusive. I was hoping somebody had an answer.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:52:58 pm

[Anthony Koelker] "I was hoping somebody had an answer"

There are a number of different answers in that thread, of particular interest are:

Motion - Which uses the lanczos algorithm.
AE with has a high quality scaler - I believe it's bicubic spline based but I could be wrong
And Reframe from Miraizon

There are also good report from people using Shake and of course Smoke is now on the Mac!

Return to posts index

Anthony Koelker
on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:07:26 pm

OK. So I'll try resizing in Motion and then send that through BitVice or Compressor.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Ward
on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:34:55 pm

You could also try MPEGStreamclip from Squared5 software. High quality scaler - we've been doing all our HD to SD scaling through it because it looks much better than either FCP or Compressor's scalers and it runs pretty quickly. Easier to get in / out of than Motion (for us, anyway) and does batch lists. And it's free.

John Ward

Editor / Animator,
Synergetic Productions

john@synergeticproductions.com
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Koelker
on Mar 1, 2010 at 10:30:34 pm

It's good. I downscaled it using Streamclip (using Apple FCP Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 codec, lower field, Better Downscaling) and then compressed it with BitVice and it's the first acceptable MPEG2 I've seen. Much better than downscaling in Motion.

I'm going to do a few more tests - next checking "Deinterlace Video" and will report.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Anthony Koelker
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:03:54 pm

After all the help I've gotten from this forum, I'm compelled to report on the results of my week of testing to get a decent MPEG2 file for DVD from a 1080 ProRes422 sequence in FCP.

"Send to Compressor" just doesn't work. As you've probably read, FCP is running in the background during this process and "unexpectedly quits" with longer timelines. And, it is painfully slow - much slower than exporting a self-contained QT movie and dropping it into Compressor. Either way, the results are very poor. Compressor cannot handle the downscaling from 1080 to 720.

My next attempt was BitVice. Here again, the downscale was the problem. So, I did a two-step and downscaled using Streamclip and compressed with BitVice. It was better, but far from good enough.

So, I did a test with Sorenson Squeeze 6. Finally, an MPEG2 that, when burned to a DVD in DVDSP, did justice to the gorgeous footage in this show. It's expensive software, but what good is a DVD with lousy images?

Now, I saw that the Squeeze I paid $799 for last week is on sale for $599. If hadn't been so desperate under a deadline... One slight issue with Sorenson is that Tech Support is poor to non-existent.

I hope somebody finds this info helpful and saves themselves 20-30 DVDs playing test pilot.
Cheers.
AJK

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:26:11 am

Many thanks for reporting back to the forum. It's really appreciated.

[Anthony Koelker] ""Send to Compressor" just doesn't work"

It does. just not all the time for all people. It always works for me, but I choose not to use that method.

[Anthony Koelker] "Compressor cannot handle the downscaling from 1080 to 720. "

It can, very well in fact. (Tip: always use the 'Best' setting in frame controls)

[Anthony Koelker] "So, I did a test with Sorenson Squeeze 6. Finally, an MPEG2 that, when burned to a DVD in DVDSP, did justice to the gorgeous footage in this show. It's expensive software, but what good is a DVD with lousy images? "

MPEGStreamClip is just fast, not better. Squeeze: Expensive! Are you joking?

[Anthony Koelker] "Now, I saw that the Squeeze I paid $799 for last week is on sale for $599. If hadn't been so desperate under a deadline... One slight issue with Sorenson is that Tech Support is poor to non-existent. "

So you think that a company that licences a whole bunch of codecs and formats, pays developers to update it and sells it for $599 can afford to have support staff sitting there waiting for the phone to ring?! They can't be making more than a few dollars on each licence they sell.

How come you didn't try out Episode? IMO, a mile ahead of Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Anthony Koelker
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:47:13 am

Yes, I tried a demo version of Episode. Forgot to mention it.

You are more knowledgeable and have more money than I do.

Signing off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]