FORUMS: list search recent posts

color temperature changes with lower thirds

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Turner
color temperature changes with lower thirds
on Feb 24, 2010 at 5:14:49 pm

Hi all. I am having this annoying problem that I don't know how to solve.

I am exporting a timeline using the Animation codec in FCP, and whenever my lower thirds come up the color in the rest of the shot will change. Sometimes it's hardly noticeable (the sky gets a tiny bit darker), but in other shots it's drastic (the face of an interview subject appears to suddenly change color temperature). The color then changes back when the thirds go away.

I am using PNGs for the lower thirds, and this doesn't happen in the timeline or with any other codec (that I've noticed). I assume it has something to do with the Animation codec trying to "average" the color across the shot, but that hasn't gotten me any closer to solving it.

Any ideas? Should I use a different file type for my thirds? Is there a way to export the PNG from Photoshop that will avoid this?

Thanks!

Jim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: color temperature changes with lower thirds
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:29:51 pm

[Jim Turner] "I am exporting a timeline using the Animation codec in FCP"

Why are you using the Animation codec?

Return to posts index

Jim Turner
on Feb 24, 2010 at 8:21:46 pm

We're using animation because the graphics look really crisp. (In theory, it should be the highest quality export, no?) We then use the animation export as the source to create the other versions we need for posting in various places on the web.

Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Turner
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:20:15 pm

I think I've resolved this. I still don't know exactly why it was happening in the first place, but it seems that if I export the file via Send to -> Compressor, the problem goes away. I'm using all the same settings, but there it is.

Hopefully this will help someone down the road. Thanks, Daniel, for your post.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]