FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Bitrate setting question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Bucco
Quick Bitrate setting question
on Feb 23, 2010 at 9:29:53 pm

Hello, I have a 20 minute HD 1920x1080 Quicktime that I want to compress to a fit on a standard DVD, about 4.5 GB. I was going to make a H.264 Quicktime. What bitrate setting do you think will prove most reliable? I want high quality but something that will play on a variety of higher end computers. I made one 1920x1080 file with Compressor that was at 19mbps bitrate and the movie stutters slightly as if it is reducing frames or playing in step frames. I can't tell if the file is fine and overloading my computer or if my computer can't handle it. My computer is a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro Quad with 3GB Ram.

Any suggestions on high quality bitrate setting that is still generally reliable? Each render takes hours so I would prefer not to keep experimenting.
Thanks,
Oscar

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Quick Bitrate setting question
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:54:41 pm

So, do you want it to play back from the DVD or have the 'other person' copy it off the DVD and have it play back from their hard drive?

If you want it to play back from the DVD you need to be more specific about what fits in a class of a [Oscar Bucco] "variety of higher end computers."

I could have a 32 core PC which only has a 2x DVD Drive. or I could have a 486x with an upgraded 64x DVD drive. Which one is high end in your particular scenario?

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:29:16 pm

I see what you mean. I meant that they would play it back off their hard drive on a computer with decent but not maxed out specs like mine. I guess there isn't any "standard" or "universal" bitrate for this type of thing, correct?

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:56:52 pm

Are you playing directly from the disc or are you copying the file from the desk to a HDD to playback?

How heavily you can compress this video will depend on the content of the video and how much you are able to sacrifice. A talking head can be compressed more heavily than aerial shots of beaches. Low detail and motion vs. high detail and motion. Also, other H.264 encoders are more efficient than Apple's implementation.

Not surprised playback stutters. H.264s are processor intensive to play. Only you or your client know what the final output specs need to be, but you can also reduce this to 1280x720 as another option to reduce file size.

The best answer is to experiment. Export smaller portions of the video to test quality. Once you're satisfied run the preset on the whole video.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com (undergoing a much-needed redesign)
http://www.vimeo.com/steelehouse

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:04:53 pm

Thank you for the response. It would be played off of a hard drive. Good idea to do small test portions instead.

Return to posts index

Andrew Saliga
on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:32:57 pm

The "standard" is that when you assume things about what a client can and can't playback you get burned, haha.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com (undergoing a much-needed redesign)
http://www.vimeo.com/steelehouse

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:12:05 am

It's simple maths then! The datarate transfer speed of the DVD is not an issue. You could do your clip at something like 20Mb/s and there'd still be loads of space on the DVD and it would almost certainly play back locally

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]