FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desperately need a stable compression for XD Cam, please rescue me.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli Rivelino
Desperately need a stable compression for XD Cam, please rescue me.
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:18:15 am

I have recently finished a job that I've had various problems with and I just need to deliver a DVD (which I've done) and a way for the client to watch it on his computer and put on the web (therein lies my problem). It seems that whatever cook book I use in Compressor the playback I get is fine on my Mac but jerky on my pc and other machines.

Usually I work from my Panasonic and in a case like this I'd usually go for an H.264 setting and that would be that. This though is proving more problematic, the problem seems to stem from the fact that I'm working with XDCAM ex footage; I'll lay out my workflow from start to finish, mistakes and all in the desperate hope that someone can help me.

Ingest XD CAM ex footage via FCP xd plugin >

set sequence settings to frame size 1920x1080 Pixel Aspect Ratio square Field Dominance none Editing timebase 25 Compressor XDCAM EX1080p25(35/mbs VBR) Audio settings Rate 48Khz Depth 16 bit Config Channel Grouped. Video processing Render in 8-bit YUV Codec ProRes 422

build edit & send to color grade send back to FC

(at this point I was getting a jerky playback in the timeline and after a lot of messing around and moving of folders, realised it was probably because of a time change in one of my clips, I baked that effect and re did the grade, brought it back and everything played fine)

Color codec settings ProRes 422 High Quality (said no when asked if I wanted to match the QT export codec)

exported as a self contained QT > opened DVD SP and built a DVD with no problems.

tried to export as an H.264 several times with several different settings including changing the frame size data rate and so on all to no avail.

So is there any alternative to an H.264 that will work on any machine?

Should I have matched the export codec when leaving Color?

Am I going to be able to get non jerky playback or will this be the thing that finally tips me over the edge?

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index