FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Bitrate for H.264 HD Video included in DVD-ROM

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
Best Bitrate for H.264 HD Video included in DVD-ROM
on Feb 13, 2010 at 8:48:43 pm

Hello CC Experts,

I'm preparing preview copies of a short film, to be distributed to various festivals over the coming months.

I'm sending Standard Definition DVD's (not yet geared up for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is now a defunct format) but will also be including some DVD-Rom content on the disc. This will include Press Packs and High-Resolution still from the film, and I'm hoping to also add in a High Definition .MOV of the film itself.

H.264 seems to be the best compression method for this (widely accessible to end-viewer; great image quality and small file sizes), but I was wondering what birate you would recommend? Image quality is hugely important - but I don't want to set the bitrate too high and cause the video to choke the DVD-Drive of a computer when viewed. From Compressor, I see that the max. Bitrate for H.264 files encoded for Blu-Ray is 30,000kbps - is this a good rule of thumb to go by or am I way off track? By the way - I have just over 3GB available space on the DVD-R for the HD Video, and the film is just over 10 Minutes so file size isn't a big concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Best Bitrate for H.264 HD Video included in DVD-ROM
on Feb 13, 2010 at 9:47:45 pm

What frame size are you going to shoot for? This will sort of determine what bitrate you will want to hit. I would doubt that off a standard DVD disc that much over 5 megabits would play well.

As for making a nice looking BluRay disc for those that can play them Toast 10 is a very simple way to make a standard BluRay disc burned onto a standard DVD-
R disc. It's very easy to do and looks great. Don't use menus and make the disc a first-play and you will have nearly 100% compatibility.

Good luck with the film.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:38:58 pm

Thanks for your response, Rich.

With an upper limit of 5 Megabits - I think I'll probably just give this a miss, then. It isn't required by any of the festivals we've got lined up - I was only going to do it as an extra.

However - your suggestion to use Toast may very well come in handy later down the line. I'm only on a iMac with Standard DVD drive, though - won't I need an external BluRay burner to make a BR disc?

Thanks for your input - really appreciate it. Nice showreel at Tilt Media btw - I'm on the other side of the pond, so it's nice to see how the BBC promotes its content abroad (Lost in Austin e.t.c.)

Best,
Adam

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 14, 2010 at 1:39:08 am

Just read that a standard DVD-R has a max of 10,000 megabits but that is a max.

And with Toast you can burn a fully qualified BluRay disc onto a DVD-R with a standard DVD burner.

Thanks for the kind words on the site. We are pleased to have BBC Sales Company as one of our largest clients. But we deserve it. : )

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]