FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues coverting from .mov to .wmv

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Trudzinski
Issues coverting from .mov to .wmv
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:07:20 pm

CCOW members!,

I am running into an issue when coverting files and making them match color and contrast-wise from Quicktime .mov files to Windows Media Player .wmv files.

I am currently using Autodesk Cleaner XL to convert the files on OSX. I know their is roughly a difference in gamma of 30% between Windows and OSX, so I adjust accordingly. I was curious if anyone has had any breakthrough methods or settings in making the closest match so the files look native on both platforms.

I appreciate all of your help,
Thomas

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Issues coverting from .mov to .wmv
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:18:31 pm

Cleaner XL is Windows only.
Cleaner 6.5 is Mac only.

Take Cleaner out back and shoot it. It's dead.
In fact if you don't have Flip4Mac Studio installed Cleaner is making the ancient and inefficient WMV7.

BTW Snow Leopard now defaults to the same gamma used on Windows computers.

Generally I'd use H.264 over WMV as well unless a client has limitations imposed by their IT or other workflows. H.264 works in Microsoft Silverlight (as well as Flash and Quicktime).

Use Episode or Squeeze to make WMV on Mac.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Issues coverting from .mov to .wmv
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:42:51 pm

Another thing a lot of people do is shoot for a gamma value that's in between the older Mac default and the Windows default. I believe Macs (prior to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard) were 1.8 and Windows PCs are 2.2.

So changing the gamma to 2.0 is a good compromise...or if your encoding app doesn't use those values, adjust the video and black levels of your project about 10-12%.

I believe there is also a difference in how older CRT monitors display gamma (the number 2.5 sticks out in my mind)...but the majority of people today will have LCD...and 2.2 is still a good compromise.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]