FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to send high quality video back to our office...fast?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
José Guedes
How to send high quality video back to our office...fast?
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:56:48 pm

Hi guys

I need to ask you a very important question for me. Sorry if my English isn´t the best, but I think you can understand me well.

I work for a newspaper website doing jornalistic video reports. I´m a jornalist with a experience on videomaking and tv directing but i´m now trying my best to adapt to the online video methods of publishing. There is a problem I would like you opinion: We go out to shoot some video on the street and I would like to have that video sent to our offices right after it´s shot so that it´s edited and published as fast as we can. We work with AVCHD files wich are very heavy for transfer over the net, but we can compress it to less eavy files. Even so, they have to be quality videos so i don´t want to compress them to much and they are still heavy. What do you recommend for sending the files as fast as we can to be edited in our offices and published imediattly after? FTP, Rapidhsare? Is there any new technology that makes it easier and faster? What kind of compression do you recommend? I´m using Adobe Premiere CS4.
Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: How to send high quality video back to our office...fast?
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:52:50 pm

News organizations often edit remotely and then uplink their finished stories or raw footage via satellite or send them via line of site microwave, which I'm assuming isn't an option for you here.

TV news organizations also use what are called proxy editors in the field. They're basically non-linear editing systems (AVID has them and Harris makes the Velocity News Force) that ingest low-resolution clips in the field where you can edit right after shooting. While you're editing in the field, someone drives the tapes or capture media back to the station or newspaper. When you're finished editing, you then send the project file back to the station (or newspaper in your case), where the high-resolution files are captured and automatically replace the low-resolution clips.

This probably doesn't solve your specific problem however, as the high-resolution clips are needed to reassemble the project at high-quality. An alternative might be to purchase a hardware based encoding solution to take with you in the field. You shoot your story then capture and transcode all your footage do a lower resolution format suitable for FTP delivery. The weak link here is that you'll be editing in an already heavily compressed format, and then have to re-encode your final edited project for insertion into the newspaper's website.

Another alternative is to capture and edit in the field with a powerful laptop, encode the final piece, then FTP that back to the newspaper.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]