help!, I don't know how to test my compression scheme

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Southwell
help!, I don't know how to test my compression scheme
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:43:51 am

Hi,
Im a mathematican and I recently came up with a new method for data compression that im eager to test against existing approaches. I have a visual basic prog that runs my method, but i dont know enough about computers to do comparisons.
My program takes in a binary string (i.e. 1000000000000111111) and outputs another, compressed binary string.
I would like to test winzips compression capabilities with binary strings. When I just ask winzip to compress a notpad containg the list of 0's and 1's it always achieves dramatic compression, and I guess thats cos its writing the output in some code that uses more characters or something (someone mentioned `acii', im confused). Basically I was wondering if one of you guys knew of any easy method (hopefully with vb) to convert a binary string to a file which i could then zip and get a relyable compression ratio. I suppose such a procedure will return a ratio ( compressed file size / initial file size) thats low for strings like 111111111111111111111111111111111111 and approaching 1 for random strings.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: help!, I don't know how to test my compression scheme
on Feb 4, 2010 at 11:58:24 pm

Laughing my arse off!

Dude, you are so far away from being in the right forum, it's hysterical.

Have you auditioned for American Idol?

P.S Next time you want to submit to a forum, at least read some of the other posts there to make sure you don't get it so badly wrong as you have here!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]