FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Q's - dv to m2v

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Miale
Basic Q's - dv to m2v
on Jan 30, 2010 at 8:09:06 pm

Working on an iMac 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; OS 10.5.8; FCP 7.0.1; Compressor 3.5.1; dv footage captured years ago to dv; outputting to m2v for DVD's.

We are taking pains on this project to get max possible quality (without recapturing, which is not practical), especially re color quality. Some of the footage is heavy with fx. The color on much of it is cranked up, much of it well past legal limits, which is fine because it is for an installation, not broadcast.

Q 1) After editing I clip disenable (by Control clicking) everything and re-enable it; send to Compressor using current Timeline settings (ProRes 422, Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV, motion filtering quality Best. Correct? Any reason to make an intermediate QT? If so, does it have to be self-contained? My tests are inconclusive on this.

Q 2) I'm finding that so far with footage with 2-pass vbr the quality is marginally better than with 1-pass cbr and a 6.8 bit rate. Is this what you would expect?

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Basic Q's - dv to m2v
on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:31:06 pm

We typically do encode out of compressor at 6.5 CBR. I haven't seen an appreciable increase in quality with VBR. However we do have Bit Vice for those tough encodes that really need VBR at lower bitrates and if they have challenging shots. It seems to hold up better at the lower bitrates but it only encodes the video so you should still create the AC3 out of compressor.

Does that help?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter Miale
Re: Basic Q's - dv to m2v
on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:49:55 pm

Thanks for the info. May I ask for a response to the other Q:

After editing I clip disenable (by Control clicking) everything and re-enable it; send to Compressor using current Timeline settings (ProRes 422, Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV, motion filtering quality Best. Correct? Any reason to make an intermediate QT? If so, does it have to be self-contained? My tests are inconclusive on this.

Working on an iMac 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; OS 10.5.8; FCP 7.0.1; Compressor 3.5.1; dv footage captured years ago to dv; outputting to m2v for DVD's.

We are taking pains on this project to get max possible quality (without recapturing, which is not practical), especially re color quality. Some of the footage is heavy with fx. The color on much of it is cranked up, much of it well past legal limits, which is fine because it is for an installation, not broadcast.

Walter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]