FORUMS: list search recent posts

UPRESING SD to HD using compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason O'Hara
UPRESING SD to HD using compressor
on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:59:53 pm

I am trying to figure out how to upres some SD footage using compressor and am confused. The majority of our footage (75%) is HDV 1080/60i and so will be our final output. The remaining footage is mostly SD – some is anamorphic, some not. I understand that final cut’s scaling is not very good and been advised to use compressor instead to upres of SD footage. I’m aware of more expensive options but looking for optimal free upres solution.
I assume this means converting all the footage in a batch in compressor vs. scaling in a final cut timeline, and export using compressor? Could I not just work with the SD footage in my 1080/60i timeline and do the conversion with compressor on final output? I think no, but appreciate clarification.
Also, I have also been advised that I should upres the SD to ProRes422 1080/60i vs. HDV 1080/60i. I am wondering how easily this ProRes footage will mesh with all the HDV footage on the timeline, I’ve heard editing HDV on a ProRes timeline is a nightmare, how about editing ProRes footage on an HDV timeline?
Your answers and general advice are much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: UPRESING SD to HD using compressor
on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:25:53 pm

Jason O'Hara:
I am wondering how easily this ProRes footage will mesh with all the HDV footage on the timeline

We've uprezzed SD footage to HD using Carbon Coder with decent results, but when that SD footage is mixed with HD originated footage, the difference is pretty apparent, especially if the SD footage is 4:3, since it will be pillar-boxed. Unless you blow it up further to fill the 16:9 frame.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
Re: UPRESING SD to HD using compressor
on Dec 3, 2010 at 6:18:27 am

I also have this question, any answers??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]