FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 3.5 & BluRay creation

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Hustings
Compressor 3.5 & BluRay creation
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:48:04 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about to create my first BluRay Disc (for a festival viewing) using Compressor 3.5's batch template and had a couple of questions before I get going.
My master is ProRes 1440x1080 50i, 52min. I just want to confirm that Compressor will change the Aspect Ratio to 1920x1080/square pixel? Or will it keep the 1440x1080 and use non-square pixels?
Can Blu-Ray handle interlaced footage or will it convert it to progressive? If it does covert it to Progressive, what process does it use? Will there be a noticeable quality loss?
And finally, if I create a disc image to be burned later in Toast, are there and osx apps which will allow me to review the compressed video before I burn it? Or is it better to let Compressor to do the burn and review after? I was always wary about letting the app do the burn as DVDSP will always burn at max speed which has caused me issues before. At least Toast allows you to control the burn speed.

Thanks!

Simon

OSX 10.6.2, FCP 7, Compressor 3.5, Toast 10.3

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor 3.5 & BluRay creation
on Jan 23, 2010 at 3:22:59 pm

Many of your questions are answered here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Others here:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/blu-ray_fcp_fields.html

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
Re: Compressor 3.5 & BluRay creation - Observations
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:33:10 pm

Cheers Daniel.

I got through the process without any major headaches. Compressor does a good job visually at creating BluRays. A little more control over the preset menus would be nice (without having to jump into xml).
My only other comment was that Compressor doesn't seem to allow you to add the "Create BluRay" job action to AV that has already been encoded for BluRay. So every time I wanted Compressor to create a BD-R, I would have to start from the master and re-encode. And with multipass, that easily added 3 hours to my render time (For a 50min Prores doco, on an intel 8-core mac)
I guess the way around that would be to create the BD-R and save as a disc image and then use Toast to burn it.. but if changes needed to be made JUST to the BD Menu (created within Compressor) and not the master, I would still have to start from the master and re-encode again. Unless I'm missing something obvious??
One other observation is that when a "Create BluRay" job action is added to a batch and you render using distributed processing, the job shows up in Batch Monitor under my 8core cluster but only as one segment for audio and one for video. (as opposed to multiple segments for non-job actioned encodes such as general m2v/ac3 encoding) I assume Compressor is still using the clusters but is displaying the progress differently?

All the best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]