FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to convert avi to uncompressed 4:4:4

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Jansen
how to convert avi to uncompressed 4:4:4
on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:09:54 pm

Hi everyone,

i'm working on a low-budget movie, but along the way i notice i'm really lacking some knowledge about how to approach this project.
We made a feature with 8 and 16 mm film, but it will be shown on 35 mm.
They digitalized everything by making a bmp picture of each frame and put it in a avi-container. But no the framerate is 62,7 Mb/sec, which is way to high for FCP.
Someone on a forum tolled me this:

You should create an uncompressed 4:4:4 master from the original image sequence, edit offline at a lower resolution, conform the uncompressed master to the offline EDL and use that to print to 35 mm.

I've asked him if he could explain it to me a bit more detailed, but i think he has no time.
So could someone explain me,

How do i convert to uncompressed 4:4:4, because i only seem to have 4:2:2 in my converter?
Does it matter if it's 8-bit or 10-bit?
Once i have it converted, is changing you timeline settings to offline RT enough?

Thanks, Rob

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: how to convert avi to uncompressed 4:4:4
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:56:41 pm

[Rob Jansen] "because i only seem to have 4:2:2 in my converter?"

What 'converter' (transcoder) is that?

Did the other guy explain why you need 4:4:4?

Are you planning on doing very complex layering, keying and special effects to the footage?

Return to posts index

Rob Jansen
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:13:28 pm

The converter is called MPEG Streamclip.

If i understand correctly, i've been advised to use uncompressed 4:4:4 to get the best result for the print to 35 mm at the end.
But i'm not planning on doing very complex layering, keying and special effects to the footage, no.

Thanks for you help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 23, 2010 at 3:19:43 pm

OK.

You'll need to spend quite a bit of money to get access to uncompressed 4:4:4.

Besides, the BMP format is RGB and uncompressed 4:4:4 is YUV, so I'd be more worried about that conversion than to 4:2:2 which is unlikely to be noticed by anyone/anything other than an expensive analyser.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]