FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best downconversion software?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Lehnert
Best downconversion software?
on Jan 18, 2010 at 6:56:39 pm

I have been running tests using Compressor to downconvert 23.98 HD files to center-cut NTSC Quicktimes but I can't quite match the quality of the downconversion from a UKON or HDCAMSR.

Does anyone have any particular software package they like to use to do HD to SD downconversions? Is hardware still the best way to go? I want to batch an enormous amount of clips and I'd rather not have to layoff my footage to tape and re-capture. Ideally I'd create a droplet with all my Quicktime files and convert them overnight.

Any ideas? I'm still testing Compressor using the anti-aliasing settings. I am going to do some tests using different downconversion algorithms in Shake too to see if I should do it that way instead.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Best downconversion software?
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:50:30 am

While you're at it look at Episode and After Effects as well as the variety of workflows within FCP.

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:43:54 pm

Yeah, I want to look into Episode. Compressor does not seem to handle text too well when downconverting footage.

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:54:37 pm

I'm finding that the best way to use Compressor to create NTSC files from 23.98 HD clips is to downrez the shot first keeping the frame-rate the same and keeping the Frame Controls off. Then take that clip and add the pull-down as a second step. Now to see if I can make Automator do this all for me somehow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]