FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor so slow on dual 2.7 Will a quad-core add speed?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Porter
Compressor so slow on dual 2.7 Will a quad-core add speed?
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:45:55 am

I'm getting killed in render times. My last 15min video took 12hours of rendering/encoding. I'm wondering if I need a new Mac Pro.
My work flow:
FCP with XDCAM footage - Create an uncompressed Quicktime with prores - Quicktime then to Compressor to resize to web player dimensions, in Prores - then to On2 Flix Pro for encoding flv.

Will a Mac Pro 2.66 quad core improve this Dramatically?
My current system is a Dual 2.7 G5 w/ 4gigs ram running 10.4 Tiger
Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor so slow on dual 2.7 Will a quad-core add speed?
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:00:09 pm

[Blake Porter] "My last 15min video took 12hours of rendering/encoding. I'm wondering if I need a new Mac Pro. "

No, there's something wrong with your settings.

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:06:34 pm

Really?
Any idea where I start? Here's my compressor summary:

Description: Apple ProRes 422 video with audio pass-through. Settings based off the source resolution and frame-rate.
File Extension: mov
Estimated file size: 27.01 GB/hour of source
Audio Encoder
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 640
Height: 360
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: 30
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Best) High quality Motion Compensated
Resize Filter: Statistical Prediction
Deinterlace Filter: Best (Motion Compensated)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off
Progressive
Chroma filtering enabled
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 0
Temporal quality: 0
Min. temporal quality: 0

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:41:55 pm

When it comes to Frame Controls cranking everything to "11" (Best) can bring things to a deadly crawl.

Why do you have Retiming set to Best? Are you doing a frame rate conversion?
Leave it on Fast if not.
If you are, always use Better unless you see issues in the test conversion.

Why are you Deinterlacing? If you are shooting with XDCAM EX and delivering Progressive, shoot Progressive.

The only reason I can see shooting interlace with XDCAM EX is for 1080i Broadcast delivery or you're shooting sports (or other fast temporal action) and chosen not to shoot 720p60.

If you otherwise made the mistake of shooting interlace then set that to Better, not Best.

Resize should be set to Better as well.

Never use Best unless you see related issues with your test encode. It is RARE that Best makes a noticeable improvement. In most cases it will slow the encode enormously for no visual improvement.

Why are you encoding in Compressor and then encoding in Flix?

H.264 .mov has been Flash compatible since December 2007.
On2 VP6 is generally a slightly less efficient codec. It's primary advantage is if you're using Alpha Channels which H.264 does not support in Flash.

H.264 .mov is fine for Flash.

Granted you may have discovered that Flix does not have any processing filters as capable as Frame Controls and the client needs or demands On2VP6 but that would be the only reason I'd use Compressor first. See above for my comments on settings. Consider all the extra work at no quality benefit you're dong by trying to deliver On2VP6 instead of H.264 for Flash.

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jan 17, 2010 at 6:58:49 pm

Craig,
Thanks for taking the time and the great information!!
"Why are you encoding in Compressor and then encoding in Flix?"
The theory was to use compressor to resize the big xdcam quicktime to a clean, web-sized 640x360, proRes for the encoder to use. This way the On2 encoding part is very fast & clean. Otherwise, Flix was extremely slow...
"Why not H-264?"
I think, I could not find H264 encoding that gave me Cue points? I have to have Cue points.

Back to Compressor: Do I even need Frame Controls Turned On? All I wanted to do is resize and convert to Prores, It's all shot progressive.. I'm not sure how to turn-off Deinterlace... Just turn off Frame Controls?

Mac Dual 2.7 G5, Tiger 10.4.11

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:18:24 pm

[Blake Porter] "I think, I could not find H264 encoding that gave me Cue points? I have to have Cue points. "

Got it.

[Blake Porter] "Back to Compressor: Do I even need Frame Controls Turned On? All I wanted to do is resize and convert to Prores, It's all shot progressive.. I'm not sure how to turn-off Deinterlace... Just turn off Frame Controls? "

Yes Individual parts of Frame Controls has no "off" per se but you can set Output fields to Same as Source which keeps it Progressive and then set Deinterlace to Fastest to ensure no time is used for calculations although using Same as Source may disable it (I haven't done a timing test on this). Frame Controls may help with the Resize though so you it's still worth enabling Resize Filter setting to Better rather than Best. Rate Conversion should be set to Fastest since it doesn't need to do anything.

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:19:11 pm

and Im running the last of Tiger 10.4.11 Ouch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]