FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor - Reverse Telecine not working?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Grauert
Compressor - Reverse Telecine not working?
on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:44:40 am

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I searched the forum and read the manuals and I am stuck.

I was given footage from an HVX200 shot at 1080p24 (not 24pA or 24pN). So I have to do a reverse telecine. The footage was recorded on P2, but shipped to me on hard drives. So I used Log and Transfer in FCP to import the footage.

I believe I read in Compressor's manual that in Frame Controls, if you select Reverse Telecine Compressor will figure out the pulldown pattern. So I am not sure why i am getting interlace artifacts in the outputted file.

I tried using Cinema Tools, but because I don't have much experience with 24p I am having difficult time figuring out the correct options in the Reverse Telecine window for the Capture Mode and Fields sections.

Also, I thought you could use DVCPro HD footage to do a reverse telecine in Cinema Tools. For some reason I don't have that option until I transcode to ProRes422. Any ideas?

Only 4 threads came up when I searched the forum, so if all of this has been discussed please point me to the proper threads. Otherwise I'll have to send this footage back to the producer.

I really appreciate the help.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor - Reverse Telecine not working?
on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:32:46 pm

I'm so glad I live in PAL land (25fps)

You'll be much better off posting this question in the Final Cut Forum as it's not really about compression but the nightmare you guys using NTSC have put yourself in! ;-)

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Compressor - Reverse Telecine not working?
on Jan 15, 2010 at 9:03:27 pm

I hear ya. A nightmare it definitely is. It's even worse because people think they NEED 24p. People think it adds value to their production. So that's all I'm ever given. But then the turn around and half-ass their lighting (pardon my language). It wouldn't be so bad if the DP would read the manual and learn that they can shoot 24pN with their HVX and avoid the whole mess.

I originally posted here because of the Reverse Telecine option in Compressor. I felt that made this question worthy of the Compression Techniques forum. I'll see what the folks in the FCP forum think, although I sure many will be annoyed because this may have been discussed in the past. I just can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

thanks Dan

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]