FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 Trouble

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fergal Cunningham
MPEG2 Trouble
on Dec 15, 2009 at 9:29:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm making a promo ad to be displayed on LCD screens around a shopping centre.

It's full HD (1920x1080) and the client has asked me to send through a MPEG2 file CBR 30 mbit/sec.

I exported as asked from After Effects, the resulting file had an extension of .m2v.

Problem is they can't get it to play on their system. I tried exporting through Apple Compressor as MPEG2 with presets Program Stream (.mpeg), Transport Stream (.m2t) and Elementary Stream (.m2v), but they didn't work either.

I've just got an e-mail saying the existing promos they have that play, have extensions .mpg or .mp2.

Anyone know of an handy program for exporting out HD MPEG2 with extension .mpg?

Their system is a dZine DISplayer, if anyone's familiar with it?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: MPEG2 Trouble
on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:07:01 am

What's the pixel resolution you're outputting to? Their website says the dZine DISplayer only supports SD video, so your file should be 720x480 at 16x9 aspect since the original was created in HD.

Their website also lists that it plays any MPEG video file...which theoretically would mean more than just MPEG2, but it sounds like they want a standard MPEG2 file.

If the file you output is at that size, you could just change the file extension and see if that fixes the issue.

The MPEG2 format also typically wants either PCM, AC3 or MPEG 1 Layer2 audio (I think)...so you should check your audio settings as well.

Better yet, ask if they have a digital version of the manual or if one is available for download online. That should give you exact specs...or call Dzine direct and ask.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

fergal Cunningham
on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:36:56 pm

The client needs it in HD, and there is no audio, so don't have worry about that.

It may be a case that it can only play SD, I've asked the client to send me on video that already plays on the system.

The guy I'm dealing with, who is trying to get these files to play, contacted dZine and they sent a list of extensions that should work;

Videos: .mp1, .mp2 , .mpg , .mpe , .mpeg , .mpv , .mpa , .m1v , .m1p , .m2v , .m2p , .avi , .vob , .ts , .tsi

What software should I be using to export with these extentions?

I'm using After Effects, FCP, and Compressor, when I export through these, the default extensions are .mpeg, .m2v, and .m2t.

In compressor it allows me to change the extension when exporting, but should this make a difference to file itself, isn't that like simply renaming the extension on the browser?

I tried using other video converter software, but they couldn't export to HD.

If anyone can recommmend some software or a workflow it;d be fantastic.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:06:20 am

If it's the model you listed, it cannot play HD (according to the dZine website), so that is likely your problem...not the file extension. Try outputting your program to MPG2 in standard def and see if they can play it.

Again, with most multiplexed MPG2 video (audio and video together in one stream), many of the extensions are interchangeable. So just changing the extensions will allow an app that's expecting a certain extension to play it. You could even author a DVD (which produces the .vob extension) and that would work.

But again, I think it's not playing it because it's HD.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]