FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC H.264 + Matrox MXO

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Walton
MC H.264 + Matrox MXO
on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:31:34 pm

System: MacPro 2.66 Quad-Core / 8 GB DDR3

Workflow: Canon XL H1 - firewire capture in Apple ProRes 422 - FCP 6.06 - creating short form videos output as progressive downloadable files (usually 640 x 360) for www.

Choices:

I have been using Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 for compression to create .flv files. I want to take advantage of H.264 codec and could upgrade to SS 6.0 which uses the MC H.264 codec. After doing some research it seems there is a better alternative, i.e.

-Telestream's Episode (I believe they make the MC H.264 codec) that now supports Apple's Compressor.

-Matrox MXO PCI card to accelerate the MPEG 4 rendering.

The costs for either the Sorenson upgrade or the Episode software is about the same. The MXO will be an additional cost in either case. Because I want the hardware acceleration and Sorenson seems to have less than full integration with the MXO card the Episode + MXO seems to be the better solution.

Does my choice seem like the best one? Am I missing factors I should be considering?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Dick

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MC H.264 + Matrox MXO
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:15:16 am

[Richard Walton] "Telestream's Episode (I believe they make the MC H.264 codec)"

They don't make it. Main Concept make the codec in Squeeze. Telestream uses the Dicas H.264 codec.

Episode is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:51:30 am

And Episode can access MXO MAX H.264 accelerated codec and is also improving x264 support. Episode can also work as a plugin for Compressor.

Main Concept H.264 interests you . . . ?

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:31:40 am

Daniel & Craig:

Thanks for clearing up my confusion re. the MainConcept H.264 codec. To be honest I've looked at so many formats, codecs, and compression solutions recently my head is spinning. But it seems you both agree Episode and MXO is a good solution and fits into my workflow.

As usual, being able to bring ideas to COW forums is a a huge help.

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]