FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing for USB TV playback

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Kaye
Compressing for USB TV playback
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:14:29 am

I've got some DVCPro 1080i & 720P videos that I'd like to encode for direct USB playback on a Samsung HDTV, which does NOT support quicktime, although it does support mp4 and H264. I want to keep the same HD dimensions.

I've tried exporting directly from QT to MP4, but the results are totally unsatisfactory. FCP using QT Conversion takes forever (6 min file). I'm now trying Compressor with the Apple TV setting and that's going a bit faster, but still taking awhile.

Would Handbrake be a better choice in terms of quality and speed? Should I change my choice of codec?

Thanks,
-L

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressing for USB TV playback
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:39:47 am

[Les Kaye] "Would Handbrake be a better choice in terms of quality and speed? Should I change my choice of codec?"

Most likely, give it a try, it's free!

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
Re: Compressing for USB TV playback
on Dec 10, 2009 at 8:08:37 am

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I had issues with the Handbrake exports: Either the video plays back in slomo (if I keep the same source fps settings), or else it just stutters and freezes (if I choose 29.97 as my output). And this was just on my late model MBP. Finally, even though I chose MP4 as my output choice, the file could not be read by the Samsung (LN52B750, for those curious) - even though other MP4 files are playable.

While I'm at it, I also tried doing an export of a different DVCPro HD project using the new Share function in FCP. I chose Blu-ray as my choice, and the file has the option that it can only be opened by Compressor. However even after 2 separate exports, I get: "Error trying to open source media file." when I try importing the file into Compressor.

Sigh... (and thanks).

http://www.leskaye.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]