FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color problems going from PC to Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Montgomery
Color problems going from PC to Mac
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:42:17 pm

Hey all

I've got a video (~10 min., 60GB unc mov) to deliver to be viewed on a Mac in a week or so. It was edited on Vegas, brought over as Unc mov to Mac, to be converted to a more suitable mov (since the editor doesn't know / isn't capable of delivering it in the right format).

I tossed it into Compressor and used H.264...no luck. Came out with choppy playback.

Gave ProRes a try, even though I was told never deliver with ProRes (although I've never really understood, as some clients ask specifically for this). Played well, and at 7GB, not bad. Only the contrast is way off, it's much brighter. Poses a problem as the image was darkened to cover up some flaws.

I never realized the picture difference with ProRes. Is there a better mov codec that I should use for delivery? Just needs to be transported easily (if it can fit on a DL DVD, that would be ideal).

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Color problems going from PC to Mac
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:25:30 am

What Gamma settings are you using?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:51:40 pm

I hadn't touched the gamma settings. Left them as is.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Kris Riley
on Dec 11, 2009 at 10:12:24 pm

Have you tried exporting to an uncompressed .avi out of Vegas? This should work in the Mac. You can also render the file out of Final Cut instead of using Compressor. Does the video play in the Final Cut timeline with the noticeable changes you're talking about? If those are noticed, you may want to tweak it in Final Cut and then export that way, so you'll get what you're wanting for picture quality. You could probably achieve the right compression staying on the PC. Using Quicktime Pro to render you're file.

Return to posts index

Tanel Viksi
on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:59:53 am

Hi,

Have you tried:
http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2008/06/fix-quicktime-gamma-shift/

http://www.filmpost.ee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]