FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing .mov raw footage for data DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Drobinski
Compressing .mov raw footage for data DVD
on Dec 5, 2009 at 12:42:18 am

Howdy,

I recently videoed a concert and my client has asked for the raw footage. I edited in Final Cut Pro and exported a .mov file. I would like to provide my client with these .mov files. I now have four files (one for each camera) that are between 10 and 20GBs each. Is there a way to compress these .mov files so that I may burn each camera onto a single disc?

My codecs for these four .mov files are:
1. HDV 720p30, Integer (Little Endian), Timecode
2. HDV 1080p30, Integer (Little Endian), Timecode
3/4. HDV 1090i60, Integer (Little Endian), Timecode

I was trying to use Final Cut's Compressor but was unsuccessful with my limited knowledge. I recently asked a friend who is more familiar with FCStudio than I am and he informed me that Compressor won't compress for a data DVD. Is there a way to compress these .mov files for a data DVD?

I realize that the simplest way to get him these files would be to send him an external hard drive. However, he is halfway across the country and I am not being paid for this job so I would prefer to simply send him DVDs. I also realize that there may be a simpler way to burn the raw footage that would require adjusting some settings in the FCP/exporting stage. If that is true, I apologize for posting here and will repost in the FCP forum.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Compressing .mov raw footage for data DVD
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:11:32 am

Get a small Western Digital Passport 120 gig drive, copy the files, Fed Ex the package to him on his dime and have him return the drive when he has copies them and you will have a nice transfer drive for the next one. We have about 6 of these transfer drives and three are out at any given time with footage being transferred.

Surely he will have to pay some shipping for the files and you won't have to do anything but copy them and you're done. Make it simple, and get a new transfer drive in the process.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressing .mov raw footage for data DVD
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:44:59 am

[Justin Drobinski] "and my client has asked for the raw footage"

If that's what he wants, that's what you have to give him. No conversions or transcoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]