FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD_DVD apple compressor strange issue

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nayim saati
SD_DVD apple compressor strange issue
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:48:20 pm

hey guys, im having issue with some HD video that m trying to compress down onto a DVd using apple compressor:

im using the dvd best quality settings
Average bit rate : 7.7
max bit rate : 9.0

now when i export using these settings get a freaky pulsating and pixlezation of only 3 shots which you can see here: ( the problem starts around 20 seconds and gets worse and worse)

http://vimeo.com/7987267

so i called apple and they told me to use compression markers for this sequence to make them all I-Frames , i did so and exported only that sequence out and it looked fine. so i decided to export the rest of my 28 minute sequence with the same settings and after a 6 hour render i burned the dvd and to my shock there is the same problem. any ideas please?!?! im really struggling to get this out to some important clients and i cant change the shots even though when played in the sequence the shots look fantastic. ive tried some de-interlacing filter from compressor using blur but that doesn't help much..

im on an apple g5
dual 2.7
6.5gb ram
final cut 6.0.6
compressor 3.0.5

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: SD_DVD apple compressor strange issue
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:08:53 am

this is a worst case scenario really because moving water is the toughest for MPEG-2....everything is moving all over the frame. I even see this pulsing on our Charter HD feed on similar shots.

BitVice is an option you could try....download a demo? Otherwise try a VBR and the only other thing I can think of is did you go to the frame controls box and turn them on? Not sure if that would do it but worth a try since you are downconverting HD to SD.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

nayim saati
on Dec 7, 2009 at 12:18:34 am

if neither work are there any other techniques for dvd compression besides mpeg2

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:08:03 pm

MPEG-2 is really your only choice for SD DVD. I would go the opposite direction and use CBR compression. Whenever I run into pulsing on the GOP transition I try CBR.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]