FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP does Make Self Contained add another pass of Compression?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Udell
FCP does Make Self Contained add another pass of Compression?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:08:18 pm

Hi All...

been working on a DVD project that originated in XDCam HD 35Mbit.

We set the sequences to to their renders to Pro Res in FCP while working to try to avoid re GOPing when rendering and to try to make the color hold up as much as possible.

Then we export to quicktime movies to bring to compressor. We don 't have the luxury of being able to work uncompressed HD for our exports as the files would just be too huge.

I'm wondering if there is a benefit of taking FCP and exporting as a QT reference as opposed to a self contained movie...

we did self contained...

As the sequences were fully rendered prior to doing this, does doing a self contained movie actually compresse again OR does it simply merge the data of the render files into the new quicktime?

In other words, do I avoid another intermediate compression pass with a reference movie as opposed to a self contained one?

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: FCP does Make Self Contained add another pass of Compression?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 4:55:53 pm

Hi Alex!

As long as you export using 'sequence settings' there is no further re-compression whether you choose self contained or not.

My preference is to export not self-contained as it's much quicker and saves on disc space. Then drop that file on compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]