FORUMS: list search recent posts

Posting full film for client?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart mcIntyre
Posting full film for client?
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:44:53 pm

I'm working on a feature in Canada but the client is in India and they want to be able to view the cuts online. Does anyone know how to post a full feature (100mins) online without it taking years to download?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Posting full film for client?
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:22:49 pm

[Stuart mcIntyre] "Does anyone know how to post a full feature (100mins) online without it taking years to download?"

You can't know this until you know their downstream speed. You can certainly post a full feature on Vimeo or Exposure Room and make it private. You could always use FTP on your or their web provider, DropBox, iDisk also and any number of other high capacity file sending service.

Heck you could even live stream it if you have the wherewithal.

One can't even speculate about time to download without knowing their downstream (and your upstream) capabilities.

Return to posts index

Stuart mcIntyre
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:53:04 pm

Thank you.
I post a lot on my own site, but it's usually just :30s or a music video which are never a problem. If I were to do a feature like I do the other smaller things it would take too long and that would be a huge problem for me as it will piss off my client. So I need to figure out a way to make the time it takes to download/upload faster. There must be some tricks or something.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 3, 2009 at 6:16:49 pm

.[Stuart mcIntyre] "I need to figure out a way to make the time it takes to download/upload faster. There must be some tricks or something."

Please read my response again. There is only lower the data rate or live stream. Meaningless without a target. You can watch full length features on Netflix, iTunes, Vimeo, Hulu, YouTube, etc and it doesn't piss anyone off. They have TARGETED data rates though. Netflix uses dynamic bandwidth detection (Microsoft Smoot Streaming).

YOU MUST KNOW OR ESTIMATE THE TARGET.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]