FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export settings - very confused

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ninja Tunbjer
Export settings - very confused
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:08:52 pm

Hello!

I have edited some films in After Effects and want to export them to Quicktime format, and have tried to do so in After Effects, but am a little confused about which settings to use. I film in HD qaulity and want to keep it as good as possible. I would like to export to a format that I can use for both DVD and sites like Vimeo. When I output the films now it takes about 15 hours for three minutes of film! And also the file size is larger than 500 MB... I was just told in the After Effects forum to ask here instead, since I apparently shouldn't use AE at all for exporting my final films. This kind person in the AE forum suggested to export a high quality file from AE and then export it from another program... But then again, how do I do that...?

So I would be very happy if anyone could help me a little with this! :) Can I use Premiere instead?

The settings that I'm using in After Effects are these:

- Compression codec: H.264 (I would like to keep this but rather change some of the below settings)

- Framerate: current

- Quality High (or should I use Best?)

- Dataspeed/datarate: Automatic, or I read that 5000Kbit/s was good for HD (this setting apparently detemines the filesize which I need to reduce)

- Size HD 1280x720, 16:9

- Letterxox and Deinterlace

- Sound: I read that I should choose AAC, but there isn't any such option. I can choose 24 bit, alac etc, but don't understand this so I choose uncompressed. 44.100 kHz

Very grateful for any help! :)

Kind regards
Ninja

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Export settings - very confused
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:19:59 pm

Can you select MPEG-4 audio?

5000kbits is good for Vimeo.

It's going to be a slow encode baring an extremely fast computer (8 core) or an H.264 encoding accelerator such as Matrox CompressHD. The latter will encode faster than real time.

Return to posts index

Ninja Tunbjer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:37:57 am

Thank you Craig! :)

I don't think I can select MPEG-4 audio, there is no such option I can select this for example: 24-, 32-, 64-bit, alac, ALaw 2:1, IMA 4:1, MACE 3:1, 6:1, mp4a. Is any of that any good? Will the sound compression I choose effect the export time much?

What is the best way to reduce the filesize (can't be over 500 MB on Vimeo for example) and enormous renderingtime for my three minute long film (many, many layers in AE, but still!)?

I don't have a separate encoding program.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Ninja

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:06:27 pm

mp4a is MPEG-4 Audio. Sometimes it's abbreviated.

For a 3 minute movie 5000kbps at 720 would be well under 500MB.

Size is easy to figure out with a calculator. If you know bits per second you can figure out the total bytes
bits per second times total seconds equals total bits. Then convert total to bytes.

Speed depends on your computer. 8 Core is best otherwise using a hardware accelerator such as Matrox CompressHD which would be even faster . . . faster than real time. That 3 minute movie would be done in under 3 minutes.

Return to posts index

Ninja Tunbjer
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:54:45 am

Aha, brilliant! :) Thanks so much for your help Craig!

Just one more thing I'm doing my film at size: HD 1280x720, 16:9 (suggestion on Vimeos site), but would you suggest PAL 720x576, 16:9, instead?

(Wish I had that Matrox CompressHD... sound amazing not having to wait for 15 hours for the program to then just crash anyway, or the filesize to be enormous... :))

Thank you!
Ninja

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 11, 2009 at 2:06:19 pm

The CompressHD card would save you hours and hours. The quality is great and your looking at faster then real-time encoding to H.264. So a 20 minute video would encode to H.264 in under 20 minutes!

We're also working with Matrox and Telestream on CompressHD / Episode bundles.

Gary
http://www.videoguys.com/Search/Search.aspx?Query=compresshd

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Ninja Tunbjer
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:02:57 am

Another thing, my AE-files oftan have a hundred layes, can I prepare this file in some way to be faster to export?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]