FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressing movie shot on RED for blu-ray DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan leith
compressing movie shot on RED for blu-ray DVD
on Nov 29, 2009 at 7:35:04 am

I recently shot a movie on RED, and I am trying to get the best DVD to be shown on a projector from a DVD.

MY MAIN PROBLEM IS getting a solid export to go into the DVD authoring process. I already have many different exports to bring into toast or DVDSP (prores,prores HQ,uncompressed, etc. However, im not sure what compression to use and what settings to use with that compression type. mpeg-2? h.264? What about bit rate?

My aspect ratio is 2-1 (2048/1024)

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: compressing movie shot on RED for blu-ray DVD
on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:17:37 am

[ryan leith] "compressing movie shot on RED for blu-ray DVD"

Blu-ray or DVD? They are two, almost totally different things.

[ryan leith] "However, im not sure what compression to use and what settings to use with that compression type. mpeg-2? h.264? What about bit rate? "

What exactly are you trying to author? Blu-Ray (Which DVDSP does not support) or a DVD video?

If it's a DVD video then you have to use MPEG-2. If you are mastering a Blu-Ray then it can be either MPEG-2 or H.264.

As for bitrates - try starting with one of the compressor presets.

On one have you have shot on a beautiful high end camera which takes much skill to use properly, yet on the other hand you don't seem to have the beginnings of disc authoring knowledge, perhaps you should hand that part of the process over to somebody who has the skills, it would be a shame to ruin your shoot after spending all that money!

Return to posts index

ryan leith
on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:53:01 am

it is a blu-ray disk that I am trying to burn, but i would also love any knowledge on burning a SD DVD.

I am just looking for the BEST way to do this process. I can promise you that I am not an idiot when it comes to this, I am just trying to make sure that I get the best results. I have done what is usually done, and it turns out looking bad.

I tried the original presets for bit rate, but it looked terrible. I have tried both mpeg-2 and h.264 and none of them look that great. The problem lies in the actual playing of the DVD in the theater.

I am thinking about maybe just playing the movie off of a harddrive. Any thoughts on that, and what compression from FCP would be best?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:19:03 pm

http://www.produxion.net/2008/04/08/hd-to-sd-conversion-the-holy-grail/

Return to posts index

Yann Heckmann
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:11:41 pm

Don't know which OS you're on, but I have gotten good results using the latest version of Toast Titanium Pro (it's a bit of a nightmare on a Mac otherwise) and the encoding set to "Automatic" and "Best" (was in a hurry). One problem with Toast is the lack of menu editing functions, I wish I could just import a menu from DVDSP.

Yann Heckmann - Editor & Color Grader - London

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:56:27 pm

Let me know If I could help you out encoding your work correctly.

Personally I would get this work done by someone who knows the ins and outs of the BD spec. Pro/Consumer tools like Encore and Compressor, ect aren't the best options if you are talking about quality.

You wouldn't give a RED to a beginner would you? Why do the same with the product your audience will actually see? :)

poweragemedia at yahoo (dot com)

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]