FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing to a mpeg,wmv,mpg,avi

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Schoenbaechler
Compressing to a mpeg,wmv,mpg,avi
on Nov 26, 2009 at 7:35:01 pm

Hey I'm trying to compress some videos for my website into a mpeg, wmv, mpg or avi. Most of them are only a couple minutes and has to be below 30mb. I have FCP, Avid, Compressor, QuickTime Pro and a couple other tools, but the biggest dimensions Compressor will put a mpeg into is 320x240. I'm looking for 480x360. Whenever I convert the movie into a 480x360 avi the quality is lackluster. Any suggestions on ways for me to export it into a mpeg, wmv, mpg or avi at high quality? I figure I can do Flip4Mac but I don't want to spend $99 for something I don't anticipate on using very often. Any advice for a young starving filmmaker? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressing to a mpeg,wmv,mpg,avi
on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:06:30 am

[Greg Schoenbaechler] "Whenever I convert the movie into a 480x360 avi the quality is lackluster"

AVI what? AVI is just a container and is outdated and unsupported. What AVI codec are you targeting?

[Greg Schoenbaechler] "Any suggestions on ways for me to export it into a mpeg, wmv, mpg or avi at high quality? I figure I can do Flip4Mac but I don't want to spend $99 for something I don't anticipate on using very often."

mpg and MPEG are the same thing: MPEG 1 or 2. If you want to do wmv on a Mac, you need flip4mac or bootcamp into windows and use Windows Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Greg Schoenbaechler
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:12:03 am

[Greg Schoenbaechler] "Whenever I convert the movie into a 480x360 avi the quality is lackluster"

AVI what? AVI is just a container and is outdated and unsupported. What AVI codec are you targeting?

1. Whenever I export it as an avi in cinepack compression the quality is sketchy and if I convert it in QT Pro as DV/DVCPro NTSC of course it kicks it to 720x480.

[Greg Schoenbaechler] "Any suggestions on ways for me to export it into a mpeg, wmv, mpg or avi at high quality? I figure I can do Flip4Mac but I don't want to spend $99 for something I don't anticipate on using very often."

mpg and MPEG are the same thing: MPEG 1 or 2. If you want to do wmv on a Mac, you need flip4mac or bootcamp into windows and use Windows Media Encoder.

2. Lol I thought the mpeg/mpg thing was weird too. Thanks what my website said so just going verbatim. Looked into it a little more and I'm fine without having to flip it to a wmv but do need to get an mpeg 1 of 2 or good looking avi. Any are fine but I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:17:41 pm

[Greg Schoenbaechler] "1. Whenever I export it as an avi in cinepack compression the quality is sketchy and if I convert it in QT Pro as DV/DVCPro NTSC of course it kicks it to 720x480."

Cinepak is one of the oldest codecs known to mankind it in use many many years before the internet was around for most people.

Bottom line, don't use it. Ever.

[Greg Schoenbaechler] "but do need to get an mpeg 1 of 2 or good looking avi"

Still way too wide a goal post. There's a huge difference between MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. What EXACTLY do you need to deliver and what is it going to be used for?

Return to posts index

Greg Schoenbaechler
on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:11:40 am

Still way too wide a goal post. There's a huge difference between MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. What EXACTLY do you need to deliver and what is it going to be used for?

It's being used as my reel for a website I created. So just over a minute long and I need it to be under 30 mb with good quality. That help?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:24:41 am

You do NOT want to deliver MPEG-2 from any website.

When you say '30 mb', do you mean Megabit or MegaByte? there's a factor of 8x difference between the two. (MegaByte is use for file sizes, Megabit is used for data transfer)

Anyhow I'd use for either MPEG-4 or H.264. with either of those it would be difficult to get anywhere near 30 MegaByte for 1 minute's worth.

Have a look at this calculator:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator/

Return to posts index

Greg Schoenbaechler
on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:38:19 am

I mean 30 mega bytes.

Anyhow I'd use for either MPEG-4 or H.264. with either of those it would be difficult to get anywhere near 30 MegaByte for 1 minute's worth.

You see that's the problem. It will not allow me to upload mpeg-4s. If I was able to the problem would have been solved long ago. FCP and Avid don't export to mpeg1s so do you have a suggesting in that case?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]