FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware to accelerate conversions

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Sepulveda
Hardware to accelerate conversions
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:26:05 pm

Hi,
In my company que need to do a lot of video conversions, from capturing to changing the file format (all type of files i.e. mov, wmv, avi etc...) ....does anyone know a hardware that will accelerate this type of processes.

Thank you

Daniel Sepulveda
Cámara Televisón
Bogota-Colombia

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Hardware to accelerate conversions
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:01:18 am

There is no dedicated hardware that will accelerate the transcoding of all file types.

The fastest way to get this done is to use a distributed transcoding 'farm' that you can scale to any size you like. The best is called Carbon Server from Rhozet.

Http://www.rhozet.com

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"
Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Nov 19, 2009 at 12:33:37 am

An alternative to the transcoding farms, which can be daunting for a non-technical person to setup, are solutions from companies like Digital Rapids, which offer mostly real-time encoding via hardware/software combinations.

But the only way to speed processing is to assign more horsepower via the farms that Daniel recommends.

I have some colleagues that use Digital Rapids solutions and they rave about them for their quality, speed and ease of use.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 19, 2009 at 12:53:01 am

Here we go again Chris!

[Chris Blair] "An alternative to the transcoding farms, which can be daunting for a non-technical person to setup, are solutions from companies like Digital Rapids, which offer mostly real-time encoding via hardware/software combinations. "

DR offer a 'Farm' solution based on a Transcode manager and some transcode nodes in a similar way to Rhozet, but in my extensive experience Rhozet is not only much easier to setup, manage, administer and support, but also considerably faster and cheaper! Even Digital Rapids will tell you that Rhozet is faster!

As for quality, I've found, as have many experts, that that quality of Rhozet betters that from the Rapids solution.

other players,"

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:27:40 pm

I wasn't suggesting DR was faster...only that their solutions are easier for a non-technical person to setup and manage. Not to mention that their hardware helps speed encoding.

We own Carbon Coder and use it extensively, but in trying to setup some of it's advanced features (such as watch folders and the like), as well as demo'ing the carbon server app, we found it to be quite challenging, especially in a multi-room post-production environment.

Conversely, I've seen the DR solutions in action, and their user interface and configuration is just simpler and more intuitive than Rhozet's.

I'm not challenging what you're saying I'm just trying to give the original poster some options. The right solution for them would likely depend on their workflow and technical know-how.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:48:57 pm

Here are some real-world reviews and discussions of Digital Rapids products. Again...I love Rhozet's products, but Digital Rapids is certainly a viable alternative if speed, quality, live encoding, deck control etc. are all needed. The fact that NBC selected it for the 2008 Olympics says a lot about how robust and mature it is:

http://www.eurocomms.com/case_studies/112166/Case_study:_Digital_Rapids_Str...

http://www.freshdv.com/2008/08/olympics-of-encoding-digital-rapids.html

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 19, 2009 at 4:46:33 pm

Slightly more up to date:

http://www.streamingmedia.com/article.asp?id=11535

StreamZ wins the HD Hardware Encoder category
Rhozet wins the Software encoder category

other players,"

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 19, 2009 at 4:39:01 pm

[Chris Blair] "only that their solutions are easier for a non-technical person to setup and manage"

The total opposite of what I found, we had DR support in for days and days running trying to get the thing operational. Carbon just worked.

[Chris Blair] "We own Carbon Coder and use it extensively, but in trying to setup some of it's advanced features (such as watch folders and the like), as well as demo'ing the carbon server app, we found it to be quite challenging, especially in a multi-room post-production environment.

Conversely, I've seen the DR solutions in action, and their user interface and configuration is just simpler and more intuitive than Rhozet's. "

I don't think you are comparing like for like. You can compare Carbon Coder with Stream Z (minus the ingest hardware) but you'd have to compare Carbon Server with DR transcode Manager.

I'd hardly call watch folders advanced, in Carbon they are (at least to me) very straight forward. Submitting job via XMLs and through the API is what I'd call the advanced side of Carbon server.

Conversely I've found that the StreamZ interface to be a nightmare, simple common settings like data rate, cropping etc are in completely different places depending on what your output format is. It's a bit of a mess.

other players,"

Return to posts index

Michael Bujak
on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:26:43 pm

http://www.leadtek.com/eng/tv_tuner/overview.asp?lineid=6&pronameid=539&che...

check this out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]