FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red One 1k Proxy to Mpeg2 SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Kerby
Red One 1k Proxy to Mpeg2 SD DVD
on Nov 14, 2009 at 11:38:26 am

Thank you in advance.

I searched for an hour and couldn't find a good answer to encoding HD to SD mpeg 2 for DVD Studio Pro. Looks like HDV is a pain but I'm not working with HDV. Thank goodness.

My source is a 1k proxy .R3D ref in a prores HQ timeline at 23.98. How can I know I have the best settings for going to 720x480 mpeg2?

I used compressor right off the timeline to mpeg2 for DVD. It's 1024x576. Is it a bad idea to throw that into compressor as a Final cut pro movie ProRes(hq) file? Do I have to drop that in a 720x480 TL. Do I change the fields? If its shot on red at 23.98 4k its a pure progressive signal, correct? It's not 60p but true 24fps no pulldowns?

I thought it looked good but the closer I examine it, I feel like there is line doubling or something going on with the edges of people. Close ups seem fine but medium/wide shots look skeptical. It's tricky since it's not in the CU shot. I'm not sure at this point if I've been staring at the HD file too long and expecting too much from the SD DVD. I still think something is off. Since i encoded the 1k file and compressor did the scaling? did that screw it up? (shouldn't matter right)

I know going from a 1920x1080i file you have to change some settings in compressor to get the upper field option when going to SD mpeg2...

Is there a good read on compressing HD interlaced or progressive to mpeg2 for SD that I'm missing?

Specifically Red footage shot 23.98 or 29.97. Either transcoded to prores or red proxy to MPEG2? What gives? :) I need a book.

Thank you a million!

Hello Hurricane Nov 10th

Return to posts index

Paul Kerby
Re: Red One 1k Proxy to Mpeg2 SD DVD
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:40:38 pm

I'm trying here... I need a good lesson or chart on this... I burned the same 2min clip with different settings.

source:
I have a QT r3d progressive 1k proxy at 23.976 source.

starting with best quality mpeg2 dvd setting:
the default setting under video format/frame rate sets itself to 23.98... I thought that was correct. I mean why wouldn't you... If I un-grey the button next to it. it switches itself to 29.97...

I burned a disc with that and the edges seemed better/correct...

I then tried one changing the output fields in frame controls from same as source to progressive... (leaving the VF/FrameRate at 23.98...

This setting also seemed to have better edges.

I'm not trying to be a compressionist but this shouldn't be so crazy. If it's progressive then it's progressive, but that doesn't seem to be the case... It's like you have to know magic to figure out what freakin setting will work correctly. I'm assuming in frame controls I should change "output fields" to progressive and leave frame rate at 23.98... Same as source produced edge issues. I know going to tape that everything is 29.97/59.54 with a reverse pulldown situation. But to DVD? Maybe frame rate is suppose to be 29.97 and output fields progressive? that kinda makes sense to me. When would you select 23.98 then?

I did use mpeg steamclip to look at info and this is what it said...
frame rate 23.98/ output field progressive it said upper field
frame rate 29.97/ output source it said progressive
frame rate 23.98/ output progressive upper field.

It being upper. Does that screw it up?

I need to research these.
field dominance
output fields

I don't know how any of this makes sense sometimes. I need someone much smarter to please set me straight... I need a good book on this topic of frame rates and what not...

Thank you for your knowledge.

Hello Hurricane Nov 10th

Return to posts index

Paul Kerby
Re: Red One 1k Proxy to Mpeg2 SD DVD
on Nov 14, 2009 at 10:35:40 pm

After some testing on a couple tv's I am convinced that:

Changing the output fields in frame controls from same as source to progressive... (leaving the VF/FrameRate at 23.98... took care of the weird edge blocking I was getting when leaving it as source.

Does that seem correct? The source is progressive though... You would think same as source was safe.

Even changing it to progressive, mpeg streamclip still says its upper first. I'm assuming that's for the dvd player to spit it out interlaced properly?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]