FORUMS: list search recent posts

What filters help decrease motion artifacts in MP2

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cat Mayville
What filters help decrease motion artifacts in MP2
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:35:45 am

I am digitizing digi beta footage (SDI) into Final Cut, I then put clips on an 8 bit 4:2:2 timeline (LFF) and export QT reference movies which I then compress to 4:2:0 MP2 (Cable Labs compliant) files in Episode Pro. The compressed files look decent except where there is lots of movement, artifacts and field lines appear. I was applying de-interlace filter in FCP (lower field first) and used Lower field first dominance in my Episode settings too. But I still see field lines in MP2's. Should I use upper field first with this (digi-beta) source? Should I also de-interlace upper field first? Are there any other filters I should apply to video on my timeline before I export QT Ref's that would help get rid of artifacts during action packed portions of video? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
Re: What filters help decrease motion artifacts in MP2
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:17:51 pm

Anyone have a suggestion on my question?

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:07:26 pm

It's hard to understand exactly what you're describing. DigiBeta is usually upper field. I don't understand why you're choosing lower field. I can't remember offhand but is CableLabs spec requiring progressive?

Basically I'm not understanding your workflow.

Why are you deinterlacing in FCP?
If you've deinterlaced and the results is progressive how are you using "lower field first" in Episode settings and given my experience with Episode, a statement like that couldn't be more vague.

You mention DigiBeta source which may be upper field but you said you deinterlaced in FCP.

You don't even mention how you're viewing the encode (with what).

I'm sorry but your post just doesn't make sense to me and maybe not other people too.

BTW why aren't you posting this in the Episode forum where everyone is an Episode user and other have done CableLap compliant encodes.

Who created the preset you're using or more importantly you should detail your settings.

Sorry I can't help based on your description since your workflow is clear as mud to me.

Return to posts index

Cat Mayville
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:27:50 pm

adding Deinterlace and directional blur filters to clip on FCP timeline (before exporting)
helped me decrease motion artifacts in MPEG 2.

If you are using final cut add deinterlace, then directional blur at 0/amount 0.05, render then export.

I don't know if this works in all scenarios, but if you are having this problem, this worked for me.

Thanks! Cat Mayville

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]