FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG 1 Nightmare

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
MPEG 1 Nightmare
on Nov 11, 2009 at 2:01:12 pm

So after client approval, they wanted a high-res MPEG 1 file to run through power point for a big meeting this morning. (I told them that .wmv files work great in PP, but they informed me I don't know what I'm talking about) Didn't think this would be a problem, but I haven't made an MPEG 1 in years.
As a new proud owner of FCStudio 3, I figured it would be a breeze.
I just need a 640x480 with decent audio. Hah!
After realizing that Compressor couldn't handle that daunting task,
I downloaded a couple of different encoders...Prism Plus (sucks) and one called mpegff (or something like that). The latter would deliver a nice quality video file, but would always fail when it came to muxing the audio.
So anyway, long story getting longer; I thought MPEG 1 was now considered a "third world codec" and wouldn't present the challenge it did. So is anyone successfully doing this with an encoder that doesn't cost a bundle? Knowing my luck, it'll be another 10 years before anyone wants MPEG 1 again.

John Watts

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MPEG 1 Nightmare
on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:39:50 pm

Erm, see the post below this one.

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"
Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:49:42 pm

If you know what you are doing you can try editing the compressor setting itself in TextEdit, it's not that difficult. Find the settings in /library/application support/compressor/

Would like to do this, but the files were not here as shown. I do have FC Studio 3, maybe they moved them? Sounded like a great theory though.

John Watts

Return to posts index

Mark Block
on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:27:33 am

Last year I spent all day trying to make this work. It didn't.

I successfully edited the text file, and 640x480 appeared in Compressor as my custom-built MPEG-1 size, but when I ran Compressor the resulting file still came out 320x240. Weird. I just tried it again now with the new version of Compressor on Snow Leopard, but the result was the same.

The settings are in the user/library, not the main Library, if you want to give it a shot.

Take care - MarkB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]