FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to compress a film for worldwide distribution by tomorrow and I have no idea what I am doing!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callum Swift
I need to compress a film for worldwide distribution by tomorrow and I have no idea what I am doing!
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:14:09 pm

That may sound stupid but it is true, and if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated!!

The situation is:

I have a fcp HDV project, containing both 50i and 25p footage.

I need to compress it to an intermediate codec to send to a post production facility, who are going to run it through an alchemist machine to convert it to ntsc, and author the dvd.

They said they want it in either Prores or dv, as high a quality as possible (I will be sending them an external hard drive). They also said they want it as uniform as possible to avoid any complications.

Should I:
Just apply the apple Prores preset and see what happens (frame controls off)?
Or use the prores preset but activate frame controls and deinterlace? I don't really see the point in deinterlacing as it will take forever, but I obviously want the final DVD to play smoothly and not have any jagged edges or lines.

On a separate note I compressed the film to m2v and burnt to dvd to have a look, the m2v file when played on a computer was all jagged but once authored and playing through a DVD player was perfect, even when playing the dvd on the computer. Why does burning to dvd get rid of the jaggies and does it always do this (thus i dont need to worry about deinterlacing or anything)

Thanks so much for your help and I apologize for my lack of knowledge!!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: I need to compress a film for worldwide distribution by tomorrow and I have no idea what I am doing!
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:38:08 pm

[Callum Swift] "Should I:
Just apply the apple Prores preset and see what happens (frame controls off)? "

Yes. The standards converter will do the heavy lifting.

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"
Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]