FORUMS: list search recent posts

compression from FCP for windows

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
compression from FCP for windows
on Nov 6, 2009 at 1:38:43 am

I am trying to work out the best way of delivering material to a server for encoding into avi files. In the past i have used tape. but i recently got an EX3 and am trying to find a solution for delivery.

i recently encoded using quicktime at the best rate i could. the mov file looked fine on my mac but on windows QT it came back looking terrible. What is the best option for DVD deliver of my projects?

thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: compression from FCP for windows
on Nov 6, 2009 at 1:43:55 am

[anthony Faulkner] "i recently encoded using quicktime at the best rate i could. the mov file looked fine on my mac but on windows QT it came back looking terrible."

That doesn't make sense. Assuming they're using Quicktime 7 they should look similar. The gamma might be different.

It's hard to troubleshoot "terrible."

[anthony Faulkner] " am trying to work out the best way of delivering material to a server for encoding into avi files."
AVI is a wrapper, not a codec. It can contain any number of codecs.

[anthony Faulkner] "What is the best option for DVD deliver of my projects? "
Also not clear. DVD is a disc which can contain any type of file you'd like.
Can they handle the XDCAM EX codec? If so that would be best. You could give them the BPAV or use Clip Browser to re-wrap to MXF for NLE.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:33:49 am

Thanks for your reply,

I guess my question doesn't make sense.

Basically I used to deliver on tape now i have to deliver on DVD. I tried encoding using a QT7 encoding, and on my mac it looks fine when the same file is opened in windows QT it comes out all blurred. see below..

I dont want to encode anything as that is done by the server, and they do it into several different codecs. I just want to deliver in the highest quality i can.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:36:11 am

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:38:39 am

That's a JPG it really doesn't verify anything. You need to post a link to the file.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:37:18 am

[anthony Faulkner] "see below.. "
????

[anthony Faulkner] "I dont want to encode anything as that is done by the server,"

I already answered that assuming they can handle the XDCAM EX codec.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:15:31 am

The footage was shot progressive and on an EX3. I need to edit to 720 so for my 4th attempt i selected the XD 720p30. I used CCIR601 NTSC sq. The last run i used the Yuv render. It looks good all except for the motion (zooms and text movement) which is really stuttering. Any options there?

Im all at sea with this so thanks for your patience and advice.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:27:09 am

It really seems like your taking a simple problem and making it far more complex then it needs be.
It's like having to cross the street and the next thing you know you're hand building a space ship to fly around the world when you can just simply walk across the street.

If all you need to do is give the the files and they can handle the EX codec, you can burn them to a DVD. If you're editing something export in a master quality codec which could be 8 Bit Uncompressed or maybe Apple ProRes (Apple distribute a PC version free for playback).

You need to find out what MASTER quality codec they can handle and target that.

All your editing is likely best done in the EX codec. You then export to the same or other targeted codec THEY NEED. Otherwise you're just taking guessing and wasting huge amounts of time for work you may have to do or deliver at poor quality and make the client very unhappy.

Start AT THE BEGINNING. What MASTER codecs can their editing or compression software handle?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]