FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best codec/compression for distributing HD footage on DVD?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Holland
Best codec/compression for distributing HD footage on DVD?
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:59:51 pm

There are many different codecs/compression formats and options for HD, so I'm hoping you can give me your input on the best/most universally compatible format for distribution of HD clips on data DVD.

I am going to be shipping 20 HD clips (about 15 seconds or so each) to hundreds of people, all on a variety of editing systems. So I need to pick a good intermediary codec that is very compatible with most systems, maintains high quality, and balances a file size that isn't too out of control.

Source of footage: Canon XH-A1 HDV. I will be exporting to 1920x1080 60i resolution, and here are my ideas/options as I see them:

1) Photo-JPEG Quicktime files. Seems to be compatible with almost all systems and maintains high quality, but the file sizes can get large. Also, deciding what quality level to use (I currently go with 95%/best) is tough. What is optimal for HDV?

2) H.264 Quicktime files. Thoughts? Seems to be a great codec for maintaining quality and smaller file size than Photo-JPEG, but how universally compatible is it?

3) Something different than the two above that I haven't thought of.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Joel

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Best codec/compression for distributing HD footage on DVD?
on Nov 7, 2009 at 7:15:21 pm

Apple ProRes

http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper_July_2...

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"
Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index

Joel Holland
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:14:53 am

I know ProRes is a great codec, but I don't believe it is compatible with non-apple systems like Premier Pro, Avid, Vegas, Pinnacle, etc. Am I incorrect?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:52:09 am

Apple offers a free ProRes decode plugin for Windows. I'm not sure how the various NLEs handle it though.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]